Wiring a switch for three different diode options?

Started by chumbox, June 10, 2013, 11:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chumbox

Hey

Want to wire a switch so it offers three diode options from output cap to ground (hard clipping) on the end of circuit and cannot work out how to wire it up.  I have DPDT on-on switches and can see how I can put a diode pair on each end to have two different types of clipping.  Anyway I can make this three, preferably with the same switch but can buy more if need be, cheap anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Buzz

I realise that this isn't exactly what you're after, but it's an option worth exploring or adapting to your needs...

http://diy-fever.com/misc/flexi-clip/

Hope it helps.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

Thecomedian

when I discovered the black Ice box was just two diodes, I felt like crying snake-oil out loud. Well, I guess that's what marketing is about.

I made my own dip switch setup before in order to try different resistances in chain for a low pass filter. There's many options. If you want to reuse diodes or replace them for other projects, you can buy SIP sockets and mount them into the design, then you can just plug and play. Im a fan of that kind of modularity myself, although it's really probably most useful for testing parts inside prototype designs, rather than as part of a completed design. Solder and hard mechanical connections are best in complete designs afaik, unless we're talking about sockets to plug vacuum tubes into.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

induction

On/on/on's come in two flavors, so check the connections with a DMM and adjust the layout accordingly.

Kipper4

Intresting stuff guys. I just learn some more today thanks.
Save to favorites........
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Mark Hammer

Ultimately, one of the three desired diode combinations will have a noticeably higher total forward voltage than the others.  For example, you may want to use a pair of LEDs, a 2+1 combo of 1N914s, and maybe a 1+1 pair of 1N914s.  Here, the LED pair would be your "default", since it has the higher forward voltage.  The switch (on-off-on) would be used to bring in the 2+1 or the 1+1 combo, each of which has a lower forward voltage than the LEDs.

I suppose that someone will pipe in that a pair of Si diodes in parallel with a pair of LEDs is not exactly the same thing as only a pair of Si diodes - and they might be right - but you would be hearing primarily the effect of the Si pair.

Cripes, it"s rock and roll, and you're trying to distort.  How pure did you expect these things to be, right?

induction

True.  That way you don't have to buy a new switch.