Making reverse taper pots?

Started by dubs, October 09, 2003, 08:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubs

There was an article around showing how to make your own reverse taper pots - anyone know the link?

idlefaction

Darren
NZ

dubs

can anyone give a more practical explanation of how to converting one?

Darren N

If you want a reverse taper pot to control a LFO then the tapering resistor (as shown last on RG's secret life of pots) will not usually work as you need the connection between the wiper and the CW terminal.

however there are some options:

Use a log taper pot wired backwards and get used to turning it the wrong way. (sucks but it's better than trying to find the right setting at fast speeds with a linear taper)

Use a log taper pot wired backwards and mount the pot shaft so that it is horizontal. (eg at the left side or the top of the case, with the right markings a pot mounted on the side of a case may 'feel' like you're turning it up when you're actually turning it down. You could also mount it internally with a slot cut for a thumbwheel type knob)

Alpha brand 16mm dual gang pots (and maybe other brands too) have an opening at the back which will accept a hexagon shaft. If you're the mechanically inclined type you might be able to rig up a knob to turn a log pot from the reverse side.

Also, Alpha brand 16mm dual gang pots have the second wafer backwards and non-destructively replaceable. If you remove the wafer from a regular 16mm log pot (carefully, I use a drill to drill out the suqashed bit, and be sure to get the same brand) you can use it on the back of a dual gang pot. (Refer to RG's secret life of pots for this one)

Or just buy one from smallbear.

Good luck!

Darren N

Is this thread composed entirely of people named Darren from Australasia? :shock:

Rodgre

Quote from: Darren NIs this thread composed entirely of people named Darren from Australasia? :shock:

Australasia? That's a new one to me. I was about to say "hey, don't call New Zealand Australia!" until I saw the spelling. Is that a real term? I must be an idiot. I never heard that. Cute.

By the way, did I ever tell you how much I love the Verlaines and the Chills?

Roger

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

form a socioeconomic view, Australasia is Australia & New Zealand. But, from a natural history or geological aspect, it includes Australia, New Guinea and its satellite islands, and Halmahera & the Moluccan islands!

peterc

Electrovalue in the UK have reverse tapers at excellent prices.

http://www.electrovalue.co.uk/contents.html

Peter

peterc

puretube

Dan N