Marcos - Munky

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
  Thanks Marcos--Thanks Will!
Brian.

petemoore

Jubilation !!!
 This is a fine twanky Booster !
 It's in RACO conversion already W/Bypass, Roon for a VC, but with the Guitar volume gain/volume cut and the TB it's probably not needed.
 None of my rangemasters are boxed anymore [I don't know, must be the missing dino egg], but I've built probly more than my share of Ge type boosters. I guess without the amazing transistors [I would need at least 50 and a VOX what was it AC30 Top Boost?...even then I wouldn't know if that was El' Beano...

I put the 1meg bias knob on the box [no 1 meg board trimpots], also the 5k [actually a 10k with 12k across lugs 1&3], even though the 1 meg is tweakky like a bias pot [of course this could be more tightly 'parametered'] I marked where the pot shaft sits when the collector is about 7 volts [of 7 ninths of PS, my battery is just over 11v this week], but I like tuning the bias by ear.
  I put it on the LM 317 [teeny noise] and tried different voltages on it and this also varied the sound and output [of course].
  I'll have to try it tomorrow [ a little late for booster testing]...throught the basement amp it exhibited a remarkably likable and wide
 Quite a tone thing going on, the 5 way coil switch on the Washburn [Stratstyle] showed a wider variance in character of tone between pickups [more than usual like my Ge boosters used to] ...always good I think.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Marcos - Munky

Cool, could you record a soundclip? I'm interested in this booster too, but you know, lots of boosters looks cool. Now I'm interested in the Minibooster, Rangemaster, RangeMOSter, Piggyback Booster... :P.

petemoore

This one is worth your time IMO.
 I tried it out today with the MkII 50w and the 2x12'' s.
 Wonderfully exotic tanky tone Booster [does more boost with the bias adj., Just over unity setting though gets the tankiiness going strongest tho]
 Guitar Vol and 3way switch [this time through the LP with Paf and split coil neck] had a new 'rear end ratio' [like shifting gears through a different differential], Nice tonal variability at guitar.
  Then I plugged it into the matched Ge [half piggy'd] and the tone there is like WOW...there's the chaunky, chewie, saturated, really changes with guitar setting...top fuzz.
 I anticipate starque Joy, and no problems with these two.
 I like all the boosters actually I think they're sweet, each with its own character...
 Mosfet, you should have one, that's clean and smooth man.
 LPB, nice and harder sounding than mosfet, add some character, does the cool pseudo OD with other booster driving it.
 Micro-Amp...Mine's thick sounding with alot of push.
 The RangePig [just a quip in a post, I'm callin mine that] has the most character of any of the boosters I currently have boxed.

Marcos - Munky

Thanks. I have a LPB, I put it behind my Obsidian and get LOTS of gain with both working at the same time.

petemoore

Yes Booster before or after [another booster Fuzz OD Phaze etc] can sometimes be out of hand, other times be exactly what the Dr. Ordered.

will

I appreciate your comments about the piggyback treble booster. It actually was a happy accident as it was the 1st part of an effect I was building. I thought I would test out the 1st section. I was surprised at how good it sounded it seems to add some real sparkle to the tone. It makes me want to play the guitar more. I have a few friends who have some good tubed guitar amps I want to try this with. Perhaps this weekend I will do a mini tour.

I was going to add a switchable ge diode clipping section and a muff tone control with a midrange dip centered in the same place as the typical Marshall tone control and a mosfet gain stage with a similar bias arrangement to induce clipping. Although I was thinking of initially biasing the mosfet closer to ground so the clipping is predominately on ½ of the waveform. Actually, I did have 2 ge diodes on a switch in my prototype. I removed then as they didn’t sound as good as the booster by its self or the booster into other devices.

Regards,
Will

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: petemooreI like all the boosters actually I think they're sweet, each with its own character...

Hey Pete, I have something that you may like.Take a look at my dual-channel overdrive topic. If you use the pin 3 as the input and don't connect pin 1 and pin 8 you get a nice booster. I like it a lot, more than the LPB.

petemoore

I checked that out Dude !!!
 Nice one.
 Shows exactly what it 'doesn't' take to wire a 386 for amplification of signal...perfect...I din't realize it was THAT simple...
 I've got some RS and NTE 386 chips and plan to start messing about with them !!!
 Almost "too' easy...gonna have to throw more parts in the mix [diodes, RC's] just to complicate it up aagain!!!

Marcos - Munky

Yeah, I discovered it by accident :P. Try it in a breadboard, maybe you can get a better sound.