Fool tone fool drive two schematic

Started by Fooltone, October 11, 2004, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fooltone

For a limited time, a PDF of yet another toob creamer clone with a thought or two on modding this rather sweet sounding blue box of hyperbole.

Fooltone

I've learned a lot and am having fun, thanks to all of you who don't know who you are.

Feel free to do anything with this file.

Poof...

Hal

did anyone check inside the pot casings for hidden SMT parts?!?

thanks, whoever you are...I always love reading about new circuits and learning new stuff :-D

RobB

Your documentation looks thorough.  Thanks for sharing.

MartyMart

Thanks for sharing all the hard work you put in  Fooltone, v-nice layouts !!
Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Phorhas

Electron Pusher

Dave Z

Very nice...when I had one of these I tried to figure out the schem & got 80%, you've filled in the holes for me. I hope the Fooldrive hit men dont get you.

O

Quote from: Haldid anyone check inside the pot casings for hidden SMT parts?!?

I don't get it... did someone actually do that?

Oh, and thanks for the schem!

cd

Quote from: O

No no no that was a joke :)  

Even if you didn't think it was a joke, those little Alpha pots have the tiniest bit of clearance for the wiper, so no SMT could fit in there :)  Now, under the epoxy, I don't know, that's a definite possibility.  But given the origins and simplicity of the circuit, I doubt it.

dubs

Nice work - there were schematics of this on GGG.
You can build this on a std TS board.

Gilles C

Quote from: O

Oh, and thanks for the schem!

Check this older post for the origin of the joke.  :)

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=25173&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=zvex+smt&start=0

Gilles

Fooltone

2100 downloads so far  :wink:

Anyone build it?

Russ

I did, and it sounds GREAT. I used a Tonepad Tube Screamer pcb, and used one 1N914 and one 1N4001 for clipping diodes (ala Keeley). It sounds practically identical to my 2003 Fulldrive 2 with the 3-way toggle switch.
I'm not a huge fan of Fuller's ego or his customer service practices, but IMHO- the later model FD2 (with the 3-way toggle) is as versatile and good-sounding a TS derivative pedal as I've ever owned (or built).

Thanks for the schematic and layout info. I'd wanted to build another one of these for my second pedalboard ever since I bought my 2003 FD2.

Russ

RedHouse

QuoteFooltone
...Anyone build it?...

Didn't you build it?

(just curious, not being a wiseguy)

Russ

Anybody else build it besides me? I'd love to get some more comments, opinions, etc., on this build.

Gee, I'm starting to feel like the victim of some cruel hoax.....

Russ

guitarhacknoise

Who knows..........................
The Shadow knows!

_ sorry I had to add that!

-fayetteville.............
I got a black eye in fayetteville! .............1999 or 00
I think it was the Empire of Shit.....................
"It'll never work."

gorgui

Fooltone:
            Hi!!Nice work with the fooltone projects...But i have a pair of questions:What kind of Transistors uses???What about the polarity of C4 & C7????I really appreciate the help,Regards from Uruguay,Gorgui.-

mojotron

Quote from: RussAnybody else build it besides me? I'd love to get some more comments, opinions, etc., on this build.
Gee, I'm starting to feel like the victim of some cruel hoax.....
Russ

There's no crule hoax, I figured this one out too, independently of fooltone - I didn't know someone else had a schematic. I have figured out most of the fulltone stuff. I have found that the schematic is not enough to get the sound just right though, or even better if you know how to build for low noise and dynamics.

Does anyone have a distortion pro schematic?

I found the same exact result as fooldrive, but I had a different component to bias the 2nd transistor - I used 1M instead of 1.5k - I 2x checked it and fooltone is right. I made a few builds of these - using better and better components +tweaks each time and liking the result better each time. You really have to pop open a fulldrive and note the components that fuller uses. I also found that he uses a lot of really good solder and assembly techniques - so I would also advise using the best technique possible when building. On this design, everything you can do to improve the components used and how they are connected really pays off (I don't like the 2sc828's - used on the '70 pedal as well as the Distortion Pro.... where the heck does he get all of those?? - note the pin out on those too!). Also, lay it out so that you can use one of those huge epoxy rectifier diodes from radio shack and a 1n914, and don't use really thin traces.  

The fulldrive is a really great overdrive - I wanted to mod it in a couple ways, but didn't want to cut into the one I bought - so I figured it out and modded it. Before my mods - I actually ended up with an overdrive that sounds exactly like an FD-2, but is quitter and has just a little more overhead/dynamics. Of the unique things about this design I really like what fuller did on the last 10 components at the output - it's kind of a mix of the ts808 and ts9 sound. Also, note the feedback from the 2nd part of the opamp - this uses some active filtering techniques + isolates the copacitive load from the other resisters in the boost/drive section of the FB loop. I pulled these ideas into one of the OD designs I'm working on with fewer parts.

The only down sides to this design is the number of components - each one (and it's solder joints) can add more noise - and it's TS heritage - in the end it's sound is great OD - but not all that original.

It's interesting that the board so high (17470) - mine is 17844. If fuller has sold 17,000 - of these - wow - that's really a testament of how good of a design this is as well as fulltone's ability to put that many out and keep up their quality up... I mean, it's not that unique, but for what it is based on it's my favorite TS clone. Besides a few of use able to build our own, I'm sure Fulltone will sell 10s of thousends more... I have this cloned now though, and I like the changes I made so I'll probably sell mine on ebay - I never use it now.

Let me know if someone wants me to build one of these super FDs for them - there is room for improvement even on such a well done design.

I see that fuller started with the AMZ design on the Distortion pro, but it's a little tougher to figure out than his other stuff - I'm wondering if there is a distortion pro schematic out there somewhere?

mojotron

Quote from: gorguiFooltone:
            Hi!!Nice work with the fooltone projects...But i have a pair of questions:What kind of Transistors uses???What about the polarity of C4 & C7????I really appreciate the help,Regards from Uruguay,Gorgui.-

Checkout the ts808 schematic at GGG (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/) for more details on the polarity. I like either 2N3904 or Central Semiconductor 2N5088 transistors and the re-issue 4558D opamp - you might have to change the biasing of the output transistor - I use the same parts as fooltone, but sub in a 1M resistor for biasing both transistors - sounds awesome...

hope this helps

mojotron

Quote from: FooltoneFor a limited time, a PDF of yet another toob creamer clone with a thought or two on modding this rather sweet sounding blue box of hyperbole.

Fooltone

I've learned a lot and am having fun, thanks to all of you who don't know who you are.

Feel free to do anything with this file.

Poof...

This might be a stupid question... Does anyone know what brand of pots fulltone uses?

(not that it really matters... Alpha's are fine... but curious) they say DIVA on the back of them.

jimbob

VERY NICE WORK!!! I WISH THERE WERE MORE LIKE THAT OUT THERE! WOW! iLL GIVER IT A TRY IN THE NEXT WEEK OR TWO. SO IMPRESED I HAD TO USE CAPS!  As far as the henchmen come looking for you- fckm. :o  we all appreciate this-esp the hard work!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"