New Method For Enclosure Graphics #2 ?!? Fabric!

Started by Paul Marossy, December 20, 2004, 12:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I have wanted to do this for a while, and I finally pulled it off! I have had thoughts to cover an enclosure with some kind of whacky, colorful fabric, but wasn't quite sure how to do it. After doing my fabric topped guitar project, http://www.diyguitarist.com/Guitars/SuperStrat.htm , I learned just how to go about something like that. So I decided to try it today on a stompbox project, and it turned out pretty well for a first effort. I used hand painted lettering in a fashion similar to Z. Vex pedals. Even so, it's up to par with my standards.

The enclosure clear overcoat is still curing, so I will have to post a picture of it tomorrow sometime.  8)

Paul Marossy

Ok, here is a few pics. The successive coats of clear overspray has darkened up the white part in the fabric a little bit and gave it a slight yellowish tint, but I still think it looks cool. I think most of it will clear up when it has fully cured in 24-48 hours. In spite of that, I am really happy with the way the seams on the corners turned out. You can't see any ridges where the edges meet.

The circuit is a MOSFET booster.

vanhansen

Erik

Alex C

Hey Paul, that looks fantastic!  Great work again, and I love the "guts" shot.  

As a side note, here's a thread that Ansil made awhile ago about his experiences with using fabric to cover a box (the link is dead, but he discusses it thoroughly).

Alex

Johnny G

hey that looks seriouslly nice man. im not too keen on the actualy graphics tbh but it looks very professional
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

Paul Marossy

Thanks all. As far as the material goes, I just used whatever I had lying around since it was my first attempt. I actually looks a little better in real life, but my crummy camera doesn't take the greatest pictures....

Here's how I did it:

1 Cut out the material to rough size. Ironed it nice and flat with the iron on the hottest setting and a spray bottle with water in it to smooth out the wrinkles.

2 Glued it to roughed up enclosure with some 3M spray adhesive.

3 For the bottom edges, I used super glue to ensure that the fabric couldn't peel off at the edge. For the rounded, vertical edges, I also used super glue to glue the seams together. Next, I used a exacto blade to trim the seams and edges down as close as possible to the level of the enclosure.

4 When adhesive was set, and all seams/edges were ready, I coated the fabric with a thick coat of sanding sealer. Then sanding. At this stage, the seams on the vertical edges were already flush with the surrounding areas. At this point, I painted on the lettering by hand with some acrylic paint.

5 Then, three successive coats of polyurethane, sanding between each coat. Final coat will be hand buffed.

The end result is a pretty tough finish that can look really cool. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. It just takes a little time waiting for things to dry...

This method can open up a lot of doors for unusual finishes. The only hard part is doing lettering that looks good.  :oops:

Phorhas

Electron Pusher

aron

Burstbucker

Very nice work Paul, congratulations!

The interior looks fantastic too.   ;^)

Paul Marossy

Thanks Burstbucker. I hardly ever use batteries on anything that I build, but on this one I decided to use one for various reasons.  8)

BTW, I think this is about build #30 or so...

MartyMart

That looks FXXX'n GREAT !
And no nasty paint fumes !. . . . well just some clear coat ones  :wink:

Well done !
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

Well, actually, lacquer sanding sealer smells way worse than paint, and it gets a lot more complaints from the wife...  :cry:
But, thank goodness, it dries pretty fast.

runmikeyrun

I've often wanted to try covering a box in FIMO clay... baking it, then removing it and gluing it on.  It's pretty resilient, it's almost a bit soft after baking so it shouldn't chip.  You can make all kinds of neat things rolled into fimo for some really trippy patterns.  I might have to try it tonight.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Paul Marossy

I think next time I'll try Ansil's method of fiberglass resin. The stuff I used doesn't dry real clear, it has a bit of a yellowish tint to it.  :(  Although, it has brightened up a little bit since yesterday morning, but not a whole lot.

The other thing is that light colors, especially white, can be difficult to work with because when you apply the sanding sealer on it, whatever is underneath it can show through the fabric. I think next time I will use something that doesn't have "pure" white in it. On the other hand, on the pattern I used, the dulling of the white portions makes it less loud...

bioroids

That box looks really good! Excelent work!

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Michael Allen

How about a close up of the seams? I can't really make them out from the picture and I'm interested in how well they come together. Did you overlap and then trim? or did you meassure it all out and cut it beforehand?

Paul Marossy

I meant to take a close-up picture of the seams, but forgot. To do the vertical edges, I just folded it together rather like a napkin at a restaurant. Then I cut that extra material off with some scissors, leaving a little standing seam. Then that was trimmed as close as possible with an exacto blade and then super glued. You can't see the edges of the seam at all. It turned out very well. I didn't do any measuring beforehand other than just a very rough sizing up of how much material was needed.

I'll post a close up of the seams later on tonight, after I get home from work.

Paul Marossy

OK, here is a couple close-ups of the seams. The second picture is an attempt to show that there is no visible hump where the seam is.

bigjonny

Quote from: Paul Marossy...when you apply the sanding sealer on it, whatever is underneath it can show through the fabric...
Couldn't you just prime the box ahead time?  Just a suggestion.

Your box looks wonderful from here!  I might have to abandon my paint job on my latest build for some fabric!

What's the "Lacquer Sanding Sealer" you use?  I'm unfamiliar with that term...

Alex C

Quote from: Paul MarossyIt turned out very well. I didn't do any measuring beforehand other than just a very rough sizing up of how much material was needed.

Dang it, Paul, why does it always have to be this way with you?  "I just kind of eyeballed it, and it came out perfect!  Again!"  I mean, it's happened to you 30+ times, isn't it my turn?  :D

Alex