Is Futurlec trustable?

Started by JimRayden, February 16, 2005, 07:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

I heard that some of you order PCB's from them. How's the service?

The problem is, I ordered a pile of components from there, then waited for a fw months, then sent an e-mail but they didn't answer. After a few more e-mails going angrier and angrier (every after a few months period), I still got no response. The worst thing is, they had already took the money from the account. Then I thought, hell with them, I'll avoid them from now on. But they keep appearing on this forum.

I'm still pissed off at them because of that and the name of it still gives me the creeps. So what's the deal?

-------------
Jimbo

Karmasound

ohh man that doesn't sound good.

I placed a big order for parts with them three and a half weeks ago and they haven't even shipped them yet. :evil: it says on their site they try to ship the same day.???WTF

so did you get your stuff?

Gladmarr

I have had good experiences with Futurlec.  I have ordered two circuit boards from them and two buttloads of parts.  They ship slowly, because they're in Australia and they hardly charge anything for shipping, so I'm sure it goes out lowest priority.  I always get exactly the parts I order from them.  The circuit boards are a different story.  I got the first board order in a timely manner.  These were for a microphone/ instrument preamp I'm making for a friend's computer.  They were just right and they looked good.  The second order was a board to switch a fet condenser mic to a tube condenser mic.  That order got totally hosed up.  They lost my initial order, so three weeks later I had to re-place the order.  Then, when I got the boards, there were 5 more boards than I ordered (which they charged me for) and they had charged me for soldermask when I didn't order or get any.  When I emailed them, they did fix the problem and refund the difference.  Their process is a little messed as far as no communication and no double checking their orders, but I've never been ripped off by them.

If you're not able to get ahold of them, I'd say just call your credit card company and cancel the charges. :twisted:

dosmun

I didn't realize they were in Australia.  I placed an order a couple of weeks ago and haven't received it yet.  I got a shipping notice and it said I should receive my order in 7-10 days.    It is getting close to 10 days.

What are some other places that sell Strip board?

Karmasound

it says on their website they are also in New York. I'm cancelling my order today.

it's going to be 5 or 6 weeks before I get it. I think I have waited long enough.

D Wagner

I have ordered lots of parts from them, with no problem.  It takes 7 - 10 days for the packages to arrive, but the shipping is cheap, and the parts are good quality.

The only negative thing I have to say is about the trimer potentiometers.  I ordered some 2M, and I got quality Piher 10mm trimmers.  The last order, I got junky stamped metal and plastic mini trimmers.  So, stay away from the trim pots!

JimRayden

So, it looks like everyone has experianced a little adventure with them. :)

Still, my case is a bit worrying.

Karmasound: I never recieved those.

Though there are cheap custom pcb's. I might try them out some day. Noooo.... must... resist... the cheap prices.......  :x

I say they should either promise less or give higher prices. That should keep the amount of clients to an amount they can handle.

Damn... I really wanted that 300 resistor pack I ordered among other things... :P

-------------
Jimbo

bluesdevil

I've never ordered pcb's from 'em so can't comment on that end of service, but I have ordered parts from them with luck. Funny thing is, I got a quicker turn around when I paid with a check...... 2 weeks delivery time compared to 4 weeks with credit card!! I'm in the USA, so I sent the check directly to the New York office, instead of the Australian main branch. I also got the quality trim pots the first time I ordered and the last order got some mighty flimsy trims, but I've been happy about everything else though. You can't beat the Alpha 16mm pots for half a dollar each!!
I definitely prefer dealing with Small Bear Steve, but will continue getting the 16mm pots and a few odds he doesn't stock from Futurlec...... until they drop the ball big time on an order (fingers crossed).
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'm sure it is a mistake rather than deliberate fraud (it isn't even worth defrauding for sums like this!) It looks like they hold some (but not all) stock & that is what causes the delays.
For more on Futurlec (or any similar company) searching google groups is usually enlightening.

Joe Hart

I ordered some stuff from them (caps and resistors) about a month ago, and got them in about 10 days or so. No problems.
-Joe Hart

JimRayden

Yup, the search turns an amazing amount of complaints, like:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=futurlec&hl=et&lr=&selm=9b4utt%247jjdt%241%40ID-81597.news.dfncis.de&rnum=8

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=futurlec&start=10&hl=et&lr=&selm=22d08eeb.0306100448.2ae66e85%40posting.google.com&rnum=15

Looks like identical cases to mine.

Also, they seem to haze away the complaints by giving some clients a really good service. :P

--------------
Jimbo

dosmun

I received my order today.  It was exactly 10 days after they sent an E-mail saying I would receive my order in 7-10 days.  They are a little slow but I did get my stuff as it took them a couple of days to ship.   I will most likely order more in the future unless I can find another supplier of strip board.

Common Steve start carrying strip board for us. :cry:   Pleeeeassssse :D