Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive

Started by Outlaws, March 08, 2005, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaws

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=e95fb5bb-5f44-4c79-9266-116b0af6a0b9&Item=800381

Anyone know anything about this pedal?

Check out the insides.  The best I could find is that it uses the TS 4558 chip, but what about the rest of the circuit?  Any of that look familiar?

I heard a clip of it with the [diode] toggle in the up posisiton (I assume it looks like that would be the LED diodes) and it sounded AWSOME.

Just curious if its original or modified.

casey

yeah, there is a schem floating around here somewhere of it...do a search...i think they called it the "Grandlaff dynamic overhype"
Casey Campbell

stm

Apparently custom paint jobs really pay-off!

Based on the exposed guts in the pics, looks like a TS variant.

cd

Straight up TS clone with variable clipping diodes (one mode is like an SD-1).

stm

Looking at the inside picture there is also a back-to-back pair of red LEDs coming out from the switch. Mmmh... so this is the third clipping mode...

cd

I also forgot you should use all silver wire and silver solder, and bend all wires at 90 degree angles.

AL

Yep it's almost a straight Tube Screamer. I used to have a schem somewhere but I can't seem to find it. It had two sets of diodes for clipping. Nothing spectacular from the looks of the schem - never heard one though. If you do a search you may find the schematic.

AL

Outlaws

I can't find the scematic for it, but the guy who posted a clip at the LesPaulForum in the "the Tone" section says that its a 3 position switch and the middle is like a frequency extender.....so would that be no diodes?

AL

Ok I'm looking at a hard copy of the schematic (I can't believe I found this thing). Anyway, this is a hand drawn schematic and, as far as I know, has not been verified. The clipping section shows a switch that goes between either, 2 LEDs or, 3 1N914 Diodes (asymetrical). So, if it is a 3 position switch, the middle position bypasses the clipping section. There is a 1 Meg pot, with 10 detents, across the clipping section (lug one to middle switch position, lug 3 not connected, and lug 2-middle lug-to other side of diodes.

Looking at the General Guitar Gadgets schematic for a TS808 there are a few "tweaked" differences. On the Landgraff:

R6=1K
C3=.22uf
R7=10K
R19=1 Meg (10 detents) Drive pot

That's it - wow that's close.

There are a few notes on my schem. Here goes:

Q1 and Q2 = 2SC1815 - same as TS
IC = JRC4558
SW1=SPDT on/none/on
    up       = TS 808
    center = diode lift
    Down  = "Marshall"
Filter caps - Bule Xicon
Buffer cap - Sprague
NP Caps - AVX polyster box
Resistors - 1/4 watt carbon comp
Solder - 2% silver
51pf in Clipping Section may be 56pf

I have hand written notes (by me) also. Must have been suggestions from the forum??
Increase 1K resistor between pin 6 & 7 to 5K for more output.
Increase the 51pf cap in clipping stage to 200pf to prevent noise.

So... It's a tweaked Tube Screamer - apparently - read the article at GEO and start tweaking.

I hope this helps.

AL

Fret Wire

That was Clay Jones' (csj) handwritten schematic. The "10 detente" was a little tongue in cheek humor. The middle postition on the toggle is a diode lift. Like Al said, go to Geo, and you can do the math and see what the bass rolloff and gain of the 1k/.22uf/1 meg combo are compared to the stock TS.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Transmogrifox

The pictures of the circuit didn't lead me to believe it was anything special.  I was almost getting excited that somebody actually was making a "Dynamic Overdrive", that is, a dynamic symmetry where you rectify and filter your signal and use that to introduce a DC level shift that makes the AC waveform clip at dynamically changing thresholds.

Anyway, he does very nice neat work inside.  True, it doesn't make a lick of difference to the tone whether he uses silver solder, carbon comp and 90 degree turns, but it does show fine craftsmanship.  People who buy his pedals are getting the TLC that goes along with it, no doubt.  It may not sound much different from a TS808, but it looks awesome and is built with a lot more care.  I would be sold out if I didn't do DIY.

Something I've been observing is that appearance is everything for the "average" guitar player.  You can fool them into hearing something that really isn't there just by convincing them it's different with a crazy paint job or oddly shaped enclosure.  That's f**n sweet looking, I want that on my pedalboard--even if it's not plugged into anything.  It's like that guitarist from gov't mule has stuffed animals everywhere.

So...if you want to sell stuff, put more time into making it look good than making it sound good.  Please note sarcasm.  

Really--A true mark of quality is that you work hard to make it sound good, and that you are totally satisfied with what you have made, such that you would not be disappointed to pay what you are asking others to pay for it.  Then you work just as hard to make it look awesome so you can get people's attention.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Outlaws

Wow thanks, Al.

That was imediatly copy and pasted into my Pedals folder for safe keeping.  :D

cd

The 1k/.22u thing makes no difference in term sof frequency reponse - it has the same bass rolloff as a vanilla TS.  Only thing it does is it allows more more OD at the end of the Drive pot, and slightly less at the beginning (stock TS is around 11x, LDO is 10x).

AFAIK that csj schem has been verified.  I can't remember where I read it (wasn't this forum) but I saw another schem version and it's the same.  FYI Landgraff offers a "tone kit" for this pedal whereby a lot of the caps and resistors are socketed, and you change caps/resistors/op-amps to your heart's content.  So take even the stock values with a grain of salt :)

bwanasonic

Quote from: Transmogrifox
Really--A true mark of quality is that you work hard to make it sound good, and that you are totally satisfied with what you have made, such that you would not be disappointed to pay what you are asking others to pay for it.  Then you work just as hard to make it look awesome so you can get people's attention.

Amen.

Kerry M

Fret Wire

Quote from: cdThe 1k/.22u thing makes no difference in term sof frequency reponse - it has the same bass rolloff as a vanilla TS.  Only thing it does is it allows more more OD at the end of the Drive pot, and slightly less at the beginning (stock TS is around 11x, LDO is 10x).

Correct, my bad. Rc is 724hz vs 721hz. Gain is 12-110 on the TS and 11-1011 (1 + (10k + 1meg)/1k) on the Landgraff.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

TheBigMan

Basic TS-808 Clone with a few ideas also lifted from the TS-9DX.  The variable clipping modes is a nice mod though, I've done it on some TS-5s with mode 1: 1N914/1N4001 mode 2: diode lift: mode 3: 3mm red LEDs.

Mark Hammer

If the schematic is accurate, then what we are dealing with is essentially a TS with more gain, and a higher clipping threshold to accommodate that gain.  In principle this permits the player to "hold back" on their picking a bit, and introduce clipping in a more graded fashion.

Outlaws

ugh.......I think I need a bigger breadboard.   :?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

warioblast

Eirik

QuoteIs 0.02 the buffer cap  icon_redface ?
That's the one :)
Eirik