Dean Hazelwanters Mobius Trip Looper build questions

Started by optimus_prime_1985, April 25, 2005, 08:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethrbunny

WAAAHHH.. I *still* trying to debug my dirtysam looper. Seeing all this success here makes me pound my head into the desk.  :cry:

I want this pedal way too much to toss it onto the scrap pile.

Oh well. Just venting.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

The Tone God

I have not heard of too many success with any the loopers at this point. I'm not knocking the designers but I think there are issues with the designs from what I've seen that are causing people trouble. I think when I get some free time from my current project I might get back to this. I haven't played with it for awhile anyways.

Andrew

idiot savant

QuoteI have not heard of too many success with any the loopers at this point. I'm not knocking the designers but I think there are issues with the designs from what I've seen that are causing people trouble

i dont know why people are having so many problems :? , i built the mobius trip looper in one night, and it works perfectly. the bypass is a little strange, and i sacrificed true-bypass so i could have a one stomp record and a one stomp play(like Z's lofi loop junky), but that was it. the DirtySam looks a little more daunting though.

The Tone God

Quote from: idiot savanti dont know why people are having so many problems :? , i built the mobius trip looper in one night, and it works perfectly. the bypass is a little strange, and i sacrificed true-bypass so i could have a one stomp record and a one stomp play(like Z's lofi loop junky), but that was it. the DirtySam looks a little more daunting though.

I don't know either. I haven't built any of them so I can't give any soild explanations but I get the occasional email about loopers. My design is fairly standard with some extra options. About the only thing I was going to do differently audio was the interface on the output of the recording IC.

Andrew

Dean Hazelwanter

I don't know either  :?  it's a pretty straight forward build, and it does work, when built according to my design. You may have noticed that I don't get involved in 'will it work with a ...' or 'what do I have to change if I want to use a ...' conversations. Not wanting to sound snotty, but I don't have enough time in the day to work on *my own* projects, let alone re-design my designs using different parts than my original design. I'll gladly support my circuits as best I can (time and knowledge permitting) :)  If anyone wants to try any of my designs and substitute anything from a different voice chip to a head of lettuce, go for it! :wink: Will it work? Dunno, try it and see.

There was one notable exception. Steve Daniels and JD Sleep (both of whom I admire) asked me if I could simply pop in a different chip in my board and try it. Especially since this was another potential source for these chips, which would allow more people to make the device, I said 'hell Ya!' Plus, Steve let me keep the sample he sent me. 8)

BTW, thanks for the build report Idiot (Mr. Savant??  :wink: ) Anyone else build it?

idiot savant

QuoteBTW, thanks for the build report Idiot (Mr. Savant??  ) Anyone else build it?

no, no, no, thank YOU for designing it, the switching is a little tricky, but nothing too bad, heres a pic alongside the uglyface and ROG grace.
i'm going to add an input buffer, since it's not true-bypass, but its a small price to pay for less stomping each time i use it. :P

ryanscissorhands

Savant, is that a Hammond BB? I've been debating what to put it in. Did you have any extra room in that enclosure, whatever it might be?

idiot savant

yeah theres plenty of room in a 'bb' for it, i didn't use a dc jack, so theres even a 9v in there, i was surprised how compact it really is, you *could* squeeze it into a 'b' if you notched out the corners and just used a dc-jack w/ no battery, im just not that ambitious though, as you can see i dont even paint any of my boxes. :lol:

i'll put up a gut shot later on if you want.

coma57

Quote from: Dean HazelwanterI don't get involved in 'will it work with a ...' or 'what do I have to change if I want to use a ...' conversations. Not wanting to sound snotty, but I don't have enough time in the day to work on *my own* projects, let alone re-design my designs using different parts than my original design. I'll gladly support my circuits as best I can (time and knowledge permitting) :)  If anyone wants to try any of my designs and substitute anything from a different voice chip to a head of lettuce, go for it! :wink: Will it work? Dunno, try it and see.

I found some interresting documents for my conversion, so forget the question! This unit seems very great, thanks for this design!

Freddy205

I'd like to see that. I'm thinking about starting this project. If I could find a suitable chip here in gloomy old england I think I'd give it a shot. Savant how did you change the design to suit your switching needs? I'd be interested to know.

Dean Hazelwanter

As Idiot mentioned, the pcb is designed to fit in a 'b', by notching out the 4 corners as per the layout. Cramming all the switches, pots and jacks into a 'b' - that's a bit more challenging! :wink:

coma57

I finished to mount it, and it works, but there's a problem: in play mode, there's a clock noise! can you tell me where it can come from?
thanks

Super Locrian

Hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread with some new questions:

From the description at GGG:

- I mounted the disc cap across the looper chip power supply pins directly to the back of the PCB. One end of a 0.1uF cap goes to pin 12&13, the other end goes to pin 28.

Is this one capacitor between a) pin 12&13 and b) pin 28, or is it two capacitors, one between 12 and 28 and the other between 13 and 16? The schematic at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_mobius_trip_digital.pdf seems to suggest the latter, but I'd like to have it confirmed.

- For the 5 volt voltage regulator, you can use either the 7805 (TO-220 case) or the 78L05 (TO-92 case). The PCB is laid out with the 7805 outline, with the front (the side with the writing) pointing to the right of the PCB. If the 78L05 is used, face the front of it (the side with the writing) to the left of the PCB.

What is left and what is right? Looking at the layout (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_mobius_trip_pcb_lo.pdf) it seems "up" or "down" would be a better description. I'm using the 78L05, and I guess the side with the writing should face up, is this correct?

Dean Hazelwanter

Hi,

QuoteIs this one capacitor between a) pin 12&13 and b) pin 28, or is it two capacitors, one between 12 and 28 and the other between 13 and 16? The schematic at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_mobius_trip_digital.pdf seems to suggest the latter, but I'd like to have it confirmed.
- One capacitor only. One end goes to the common connection at pins 12 and 13. The other end of the same cap goes to pin 28. The other cap (between pins 13 and 16) appears (on that drawing) under the bottom-left corner of the looper chip.

QuoteWhat is left and what is right? Looking at the layout (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_mobius_trip_pcb_lo.pdf) it seems "up" or "down" would be a better description.
- The description was correct for the original layouts. JD thoughtfully 'packaged' the layouts to make them easier for people to download. Turn the board so that the part numbers for the ISD1000A and 4001 are oriented correctly, and the description will be correct.

QuoteI'm using the 78L05, and I guess the side with the writing should face up, is this correct?
- Yes.

Hope that helps!

Super Locrian

Thanks Dean, that is indeed helpful. A few more questions: Do I need the 0.1" center connectors, or can I just solder wire directly to the board? In the case of the latter, what do I do when I have only 2 wires to connect? (The "C" pad for the LEDs, for instance, or the center pad for IN, OUT and 9V)? Do I have to solder a bridge between the center pad and one of the others? If I want to use the 0.1" center connectors, where can I get them?

Are there any pics of a completed Mobius looper build somewhere on this forum or elsewhere?

- All of the off-board wiring is laid out to use 3 pin 0.1" center connecters that I've been using for a while. One connector for the 2 switches, one for the 2 LEDs, one for each of the 3 pots, one for each of input and output jacks, and one for 9v DC.

Dean Hazelwanter

QuoteDo I need the 0.1" center connectors, or can I just solder wire directly to the board?

- You can just solder wires to the board. If nothing is connected to the pad in question, you don't need to use a wire as the pad isn't connected.

QuoteThe "C" pad for the LEDs, for instance

- This pad is connected, so you'd need a wire.

QuoteIf I want to use the 0.1" center connectors, where can I get them?

- In Canada, they're available from a distributor called Mode. The part # for their 3 pin header (the part that sits on the board) is 37-6203-0.

QuoteAre there any pics of a completed Mobius looper build somewhere on this forum or elsewhere

I have one that's not boxed up. If I get a chance in the next couple of days, I'll take a couple of pictures of it.

Super Locrian

I have to admit it, I'm stuck in this build. Pictures would help, and actually I seem to need a wiring diagram as well.

Hope someone can help.  :-\

idiot savant

built mine years ago, still works fine. I'm not sure if I have any gut pics though.

the build is pretty straight forward with the exception of the 100n cap and the jumper. the bypass is where it gets funny, here's a really REALLY old pic I made to detail the bypass switching I used: