Orange Squeezer +++ PCB

Started by nelson, May 01, 2005, 12:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

I took the time to design a PCB for this, I dont have any 2N5457's to test it out. Its only my 2nd ever attempt at designing a PCB.

http://www.auaj24.dsl.pipex.com/os+++V2.pdf

Any tips, advice Problems.

Anyone fancy verifying it for me?

Cheers.
Paul Nelson.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

ninoman123

nelson

Need to give it a little time for the server to update
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

It should be working now.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

smccusker

Woooah
Thats one really long jumper.
Guitar -> Amp

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

ninoman123

Seeing as that jumper was so long why not try something like this

You could jump that trace instead of that long one.  You could pretty it up I did my picture in 2 seconds with paint but i think you get the point lol. You could smash together some of those traces on the left side of the board so you could fit the new trace on your board.

Just an idea, Ive never layed out a PCB before but this seems like it will shorten up the jumpers

nelson

I dunno, I like the way that the ground trace is continuous. But thanks for the idea. I feel its too big, so I am going to condense it now, soo If I can fit the board into a 1590b, doubt it, but its worth a try.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

MartyB

Beautiful  'look' to your layout art!  This is the layout I used for mine:

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=11

Hal

its helpful to extend the ground trace onto the spot for holes, so metal standoffs can connect and ground the box...if you know what I mean.

nelson

Quote from: MartyBBeautiful  'look' to your layout art!  This is the layout I used for mine:

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=11

This is the plus plus plus version, its adds more control and cuts off some of the high frequencies.

I am going to build it to use as a bass compressor.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

j.frad

Hi everyone, i think i spotted things in the pcb that don't stick to the schematic

http://unlike1.free.fr/julesnepassupprimer/orangesqueez+++.JPG

can you check? i'm interested in this layout!

nelson

Your right, I have a version 2 layout that is smaller, I will update it with the correction, and post it in this thread.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

Here is version 2 any thoughts, corrections and compliments please post.  :P

http://www.auaj24.dsl.pipex.com/os+++V2.pdf

Thanks
Paul Nelson
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

bwanasonic

I still don't think it's a good idea to have a power trace as a long-ass jumper flopping around on top of the board. It's at least bad form, if not a potential source of noise/oscillation. At least that is my limited understanding.

Kerry M

nelson

Quote from: bwanasonicI still don't think it's a good idea to have a power trace as a long-ass jumper flopping around on top of the board. It's at least bad form, if not a potential source of noise/oscillation. At least that is my limited understanding.

Kerry M

Yeah it is bad form, I think of it as just an insulated trace, cant think of any reason why it would cause oscilation/noise.

version 2 has a shorter jumper.

I found it pretty difficult to find a route for the trace and took the easy option. Shouldnt present a problem I dont think. I could use 2 smaller jumpers, but that would pose the same theoretical problem.   4ms use many more long jumpers than on this layout. Who am I to argue with their technique?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

moosapotamus

Cool! Nice looking artwork. 8)
I am really curious to see how this works out, especially since I have unfortunately not had time to try building it myself. Somone should try breadboarding or stripboarding it before etching any PCBs. :wink:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

nelson

Quote from: moosapotamusCool! Nice looking artwork. 8)
I am really curious to see how this works out, especially since I have unfortunately not had time to try building it myself. Somone should try breadboarding or stripboarding it before etching any PCBs. :wink:

~ Charlie

Thanks!

Going to breadboard it as soon as I get the trannies.

I needed practice drawing layouts, so I used this project,  I couldnt find a PCB layout anywhere.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

j.frad

well tell us if it works!!!! I'd love to build this modded one,

I have a shitty Boss CS-3 that's so bad I don't even bother to try using it and don't really feel like buying the instructions to mod it (since I found no place that has those for free) , so this orange squeezer has definitly been on my mind for a while!!!

Or if anyone knows where I can get the CS-3 mods for free I'd be glad! after all, diy is meant to be cheap too!
jules

nelson

I have just realised I have put the pinout of the jfets in the wrong order, Another update. anyone who decides to give this layout a try bear that in mind.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X