Anyone done a layout for Tim E's Simple Square Wave Shaper?

Started by octafish, June 20, 2005, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octafish

PCB, Vero, or perf, I'll take what I can get. I've got three weeks before I head OS for a holiday and I wanted to get a few things finished and out of the way. (Got to clean my building room for the house sitter). I've wanted to make this for a long time so if anyone can help me build it faster it would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Any reports on Chords through this thing? I remember reading a build report saying it was actually quite friendly towards them. My ukelele might have a new friend.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

Marcos - Munky

There's a layout in my site. I built it some time ago, but didn't had much time to play with it, since it was built to a friend.

octafish

Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

jmusser

This is one of my absolute favorite circuits, and I play it often. It loves chords, and has sustain for a week! Look in "Search" for "Tim Escobedo's Simple Square Wave Shaper" with my handle, for my review. It sounds so good, that my wife even likes it!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Mark Hammer

Want some REAL fun?

The SWS produces different tones by adjusting the ramp up and ramp-down time of the square wave.  If you replace both of the 500k attack/decay pots with a 500k foot-controlled pot (with 270k fixed resistors on each end), you can work it like a duty-cycle or PWM control

If you need your feet for other stuff, replace one of the pots with a photocell and an LFO driving an LED for automatic PWM-type sweep.

octafish

Thanks guys. I got it up and running on perf last night using marcos' layout. Yeah it loves the chords, so the uke loves it. I was thinking of replacing the 500k pots with either an envelope, or lfo controled vactrol. Or both. The uglyface 386 envelope control should do it. Its a bit rough and ready but it works a treat in the uglyface.
But I think I'll have to leave it till I get back from Japan. Now its working I can't stop playing with it, mods will have to wait. I plan on rehousing this in a big box (just a plastic one at the moment) and adding some filtering and maybe a bypassable octave section from the RM octavia. This could be the circuit I've been waiting for to add all those cookbook bits to. I think my wife will like this one too!

Marcos - Munky

Great that you liked it. Tim circuits are very cool.