Easyvibe pics and soundclip

Started by Andre, February 15, 2006, 11:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre

Hello,

I posted a picture of my easyvibe earlier this week in the picture thread but, since i think something went wrong
because i couldn't see the picture, i give it a second try.

As you can see it's build in a Crybaby housing.
I mounted the depth pot in the hole for the DC connector.

This is an inside view :

And this is what it sounds like:
http://andre.timbolino.nl/demo4.mp3

For recording i used my Fender Telecaster > Easyvibe > Disortion Plus > Fender Studio85 Amp.
I'm not sure if it sounds like a Uni/Neovibe, but i like it very much.

André

Doug_H

I like it very much too! Sounds great. :icon_wink:

Nice playing too!

Doug

joelap

Andre, that sounds really good!  I really like it!  Do you have a schematic or layout for the pedal?  That's a good idea housing the vibe inside of a wah pedal case, so you can vary the speed with the footpedal.
- witty sig -

Andre

You can find the schem here http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/easyvibe.jpg,
and the layout here: http://www.geofex.com/PCB_layouts/Layouts/easyvibe.pdf
I added  47k trimpots at both sides of the rate pot to adjust the range of the pedal.

André

BDuguay

vanhansen

That's sweet.  I love those things.  Nice work.  ;)
Erik

bluesdevil

Great job, I love it!!! What choices did you make for the op amps and opto-couplers?
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Big Red

Quote from: bluesdevil on February 15, 2006, 05:56:47 PM
Great job, I love it!!! What choices did you make for the op amps and opto-couplers?
+1

looks/sounds good, I've been wanting to make a vibe of some sort for a while.
what are those little yellow things on thier own board? trim pots?

Andre

Thanks for the nice comments.

The opamps used are m5223 from Mitubishi.
I used them for no other reason than having them in stock.
I have not tried any other opamps.
The optocouplers are marked "MCD527".
You can find some specs here:http://www.datasheetarchive.com/semiconductors/specsheet.php?specsheet=1346883
As you can see its range is from as low as 1k to 2M.
It was used in JVC Cassettedeck KD-A8.
I'm afraid you won't be able to get them anymore.

André

Andre

Big Red,

Yes they are, i used them to create a more usable range for the rate control.
Without them it's very difficult to control the speed with your foot.

André

joelap

I'm going to attempt this build, just got an awesome deal on a fully functional GCB-95 for 30 dollars shipped!  So I'll be taking the board out and playing around.

I came up with an idea, maybe you'd want to try it out?  I was thinking to myself how awesome it was to keep the entire effect in a footpedal enclosure, but also thinking how sometimes there's that one speed setting you like, and how hard it would be to turn it on and set it exactly to that setting with the footpedal.  So I'm going to try to figure out a way to take the wire going to the speed pot, sent it to a switch (SPDT on-on could probably handle it I think).  One output, sent to the input of the foot controlled rate pot, the other output sent to an external pot for speed.  It's a perfect best-of-both-worlds situation, you get the option of using a footcontroller for speed, and also the option of using it like a normal stompbox with a pot for the speed... but first I gotta finish this overdrive :icon_biggrin:
- witty sig -

Andre

Nice idea, but i think it's better to use a DPDT switch.
This is what i think works best:

I'm gonna give it a try.
I will move the  controls to the rear end of the housing so i can use the DC-input again.

André

joelap

Ahh I see, I forgot you are using 47k trims before and after the foot control.  Just out of curiousity, what are your before and after trim pots set to?  Did you check the resistance, or did you just listen for a good sound?  Either way, great job and thanks for the visual diagram.  Let me know how you like it when it's done.

I've got a wah shell coming my way... where did you have the board made?  I've only modded pedals or built pedals using perfboard, and I have no idea where to go or what to do to make a PC board.
- witty sig -

Doug_H

MRX2099

Andre it sounds awesome, that is my next build, since I just this past weekend finished my 50W Marshall Plexi clone( see the pictures thread)  where does one get the small box capicators at?

Thanks
Jeff

Andre

Joelap,

Just finished the mod we discussed. It seems to work OK.
Since it's 11:30 in the evening here, i can't do some loud tests now.
I will post some pictures later on but first my camera battery has to be charged.

Now for the rest of your questions.
I just set the trimpots by listening.  I will check the resistance later on.

I make the boards myself.
It's not that difficult.
Maybe i should make a photoessay of it, because it's a little different
from what most people in this forum do.

Andre

Doug,

That Rogue wah sure is cheap, but the review on the same page isn't too positive about it.

Andre

Jeff,

The capacitors come from some dutch firm called Texim.
The only thing written on them , apart from the value, is "SM".
BTW. your Marshall clone looks great.

Andre

Some new pics with the earlier discussed mod built in.

The outside:

and the inside:

No soundclip, but i can make one if you insist.

tennisdude

wow! that is just about the cleanest wiring I have ever seen!

I am ashamed  ;)