Boss HM2 mods? Experience?

Started by loylo, February 27, 2006, 11:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loylo

Hey there!

I've got an old Japanese Boss HM2.
I can remember the first time I gave it a try into a Marshall 100W solid state, I was very disappointed by its poor quality "too fuzzy" sound.
Since then, I bought a tube amp and it really sounds better in those kind of amp.
Though, the sound is not so transparent and it is still a little fuzzy so I assume there are some ways to improve it.

A friend of mine lend me his own hm2 modified from indyguitarist mods. I am really disappointed about these mods as the pedal reacts very strangely: the sound is brighter, more transparent with more bass (good points) but the distortion is no longer so heavy! It sounds like there is a noise gate that remove the attack of the note, and there is a kind of distortion veil that is very annoying.
So I first thought that my friend have done something wrong when modifying it, but apparently not as I've checked it.
I tried to change some of the diode clipping on mine, as it has been done on the modified hm2 and it sounds the same, very strange.
So I came back to original specs.

Now I have searched over the net and this forum for a valuable mod but I just can't find anything. There are some old topics here and there, but the schematics are no longer on the net.

Does anybody can help me?

Peter Snowberg

One mod that I think improves the HM-2 is to locate the two Ge diodes sitting in-line with the signal after the feedback clipper stage and short them out. They're between two 10K resistors which makes them easy to spot. I shorted the diodes and one of the 10Ks and I like the sounds much better.

The big problem for me with the HM-2 is the tone control section. I can dial up all kinds of settings that I don't care for. I finally ended up removing the two wiper connections from the tone pots to kill the controls and now I like it MUCH better.   :icon_confused:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

loylo

I suspect the ge diodes to be responsible for the fuzziness of the distortion. Thanks Peter. I'd give it a try.

Any over thoughts?

MartyMart

I think the Ge diodes are D6/D7, I've removed them and jumpered D7
I also changed D3/D4 to yellow 3mm LED's
Sounds a lot better now :D
Less distortion, but nice tone and more output volume

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com