Anybody else anxiously waiting for the 4PDT stomp switch to be available?

Started by skiraly017, March 06, 2006, 05:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

It's worse than Christmas Eve for me. I want the 4PDT. I need the 4PDT. I HAVE TO HAVE THE 4PDT!
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

hairyandy

I've been feeling quite the opposite lately.  I've been thinking about going the 2PDT w/buffer route (a la Cornish) and screwing the 3PDT/True-Bypass popping which has been driving me INSANE!!!  The only thing that's been keeping me from making the jump is the 2PDT switches aren't really any cheaper than the blue 3PDTs, which I still have a ton of.  I guess I could just wire the 3s non-TB.  In my experience, 1M anti-pop resistors just don't work too well...

Soory 'bout the rant, I don't mean to hijack your topic...

Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

wampcat1

Quote from: hairyandy on March 06, 2006, 06:06:24 PM
I've been feeling quite the opposite lately.  I've been thinking about going the 2PDT w/buffer route (a la Cornish) and screwing the 3PDT/True-Bypass popping which has been driving me INSANE!!!  The only thing that's been keeping me from making the jump is the 2PDT switches aren't really any cheaper than the blue 3PDTs, which I still have a ton of.  I guess I could just wire the 3s non-TB.  In my experience, 1M anti-pop resistors just don't work too well...

Soory 'bout the rant, I don't mean to hijack your topic...

You can get the 4pdt from banzai effects.

I agree with the Tb statement...as long as the bypass is good, it works just fine for me, including the boss pedals. I think many people get so caught up in the small details that they lose track of developing good technique which will make ANYONE sound better than whether or not the caps are silver mica, metal film resistors, etc. I know I certainly got caught up in the 'tone search' in the past. Looking back, if I would've spent that time in the woodshed, I'd be much better off in my playing...

Brian

skiraly017

I could get the 4PDT from Banzai, but the $40 price tag to the US makes it cost prohibitive. I was referring to the 4PDT that Steve @ Small Bear saw at the NAMM show.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

wampcat1

Quote from: skiraly017 on March 06, 2006, 06:54:30 PM
I could get the 4PDT from Banzai, but the $40 price tag to the US makes it cost prohibitive. I was referring to the 4PDT that Steve @ Small Bear saw at the NAMM show.

Sorry, I didn't know about that..  :icon_redface:

hairyandy

Quote from: skiraly017 on March 06, 2006, 06:54:30 PM

I didn't know about that either.  Color me ignorant, sorry.

:-[

Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

GBlekas

This thread is really weird because these switches have been available since 2002 and I only today emailed the manufacturer about them today. $40 each? I am thinking not but will let you know how much I found them for as soon as I know.

What are you guys planing on using them for?

Regards,
George

smallbearelec

Cliff components showed me at NAMM what they said was their only sample of an Italian-made, truly stompable 4PDT. I have not since then been able to get a delivery date, but I do call every so often and ask. You will know as soon as I do.

George: If that switch in the pic is truly a stomper, excellent. But it looks kinda like the Fujisoku, which isn't. I would be interested to know how it works out.

rockgardenlove

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

rockgardenlove

skiraly017

I'm planning on using the 4PDT for a dual-channel pedal. I could do the whole relay thing but I'm not that far along in my skills.

GBlekas

Quote from: smallbearelec on March 07, 2006, 12:13:32 AM
Cliff components showed me at NAMM what they said was their only sample of an Italian-made, truly stompable 4PDT. I have not since then been able to get a delivery date, but I do call every so often and ask. You will know as soon as I do.

George: If that switch in the pic is truly a stomper, excellent. But it looks kinda like the Fujisoku, which isn't. I would be interested to know how it works out.

Hi Steve,

These are the same used in the Hughes and Kettner pedals.
I have had the Rotosphere for years now and never had a problem with any of the switches in it.
I believe they are made in Germany and although a bit pricey they are no where near $40 a piece.

Anybody have any wah shells I wonder ;)

Regards,
George

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

skiraly017

Quote from: A.S.P. on March 07, 2006, 12:25:39 PM
just a little over $22... pic

Add shipping to the US and what not, it becomes cost prohibitive to use the Banzai switch. Plus there are stories of it not being all that sturdy. I'll hang tight to see what Steve can do.

R.G.

At the risk of sounding a little silly - how come you don't use a $6 DPDT and two EA series latching relays at under $3. each?

Sounds a little cheaper than $40.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

analogmike

we used to use those 4pdts, made by fujisoku but unreliable for stomping.

We now use relays like rg recommends.

But would use good 4pdts if available.
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

skiraly017

Quote from: R.G. on March 07, 2006, 01:28:17 PM
At the risk of sounding a little silly - how come you don't use a $6 DPDT and two EA series latching relays at under $3. each?

Sounds a little cheaper than $40.

Like I said earlier...

Quote from: skiraly017 on March 07, 2006, 09:25:27 AM
I'm planning on using the 4PDT for a dual-channel pedal. I could do the whole relay thing but I'm not that far along in my skills.

If there's an "Idiot's Guide to Wiring Relays" I'll be more than happy to study it.

Del Pedro

Quote from: GBlekas on March 07, 2006, 11:20:06 AM
I believe they are made in Germany and although a bit pricey they are no where near $40 a piece.

Seems like these are made by Knitter:
http://www.knitter-switch.com

Regards
Peter