Cauldron of Gain - PCB Layout Attempt

Started by mydementia, July 07, 2006, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mydementia

All,
I'm going to give this a shot this weekend.  Here's my starting point:

I think I'm going to leave the charge pump as the GGG module (so others can use two 9V batteries or an 18V supply instead).  Anyone had issues with unshielded wires/components around the MAX1044 charge pump?  I want to be smart about the layout since this is touted as such a high gain beast...more gain than my Dr. Boogey, eh...we'll see about that!

Again, if anyone has an update to the schematic shown - please send it over...  Better yet, if you already created a PCB/perf layout you can save me a lot of trouble!!  I thought about using Nikolay's layout (shown above) - but everything is REALLY cramped...

I'll be back...
Mike

MetalGuy

Looks neat.
Please post some soundclips after you finish.

mydementia

Hey fellow emu fans...
I put this layout together this morning and perfed it up...  I'm having trouble biasing Q3 (maxed trimmer only gets to ~12V instead of ~9V) and the output volume control doesn't do anything (wtf?).  Aside from having no volume control... it sounds like there are some mean high gain sounds in this emu...
I'm using the charge pump from GGG (MAX1044) to get ~17V out of my 9V battery.  Only sub from the schem was a 20k pot for the MID.
Help/advice appreciated... I'm just trying to give a VERY small something back to those of you who have put in so much work on the great layouts discussed here.