Maestro MFZ-1 - which is the real schematic?

Started by brett, July 26, 2006, 02:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

Hi
In the schematics area, there's this cool entry for a Maestro MFZ (as used by Dan in the totally groovy Black Keys):

BUT, what is this one (the end-point for some links discussing the MFZ-1) :
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/maestrofuzz.pdf
(It's clear that the comment about "Satisfaction" is wrong (that was an FZ-1).  I also suspect that this circuit was also designed for silicon transistors, not germanium.)

What is this second beast?  Is the fuzz used by the Black Keys definately the op-amp circuit?  Anybody got a photo of the Black Keys gear?  The second circuit seems to have come in a sloping aluminium case with large knobs on the sides.

thaniks for any help

PS That built-in expander/"squelcher"/noise gate in the lower schematic is SO cool.  Ripe for use in a variety of situations.

Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

brett

This probably houses the second schematic... ( :icon_question:)
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

A.S.P.

Lost Info Society...
Analogue Signal Processing

brett

Thanks A.S.P.
That solves the MFZ-1 issue.
But I wonder what the other circuit is for?
Brett Robinson

A.S.P.

Lost Info Society...
Analogue Signal Processing

brett

Hi
Thanks again for your help.

The Satisfaction fuzz sounds like a maxed out trombone to me, so I suspect it's either a fuzz with lots of bass cut, or the tone control on the guitar has been turned way up.  To me, it sounds like the former, coz the mids are still there.

The three fuzzes that I know of that "do" that mad, metallic trombone sound are the Fuzzrite, FZ-1 and FZ-1a.  I think I once calculated a cutoff frequency of 160Hz for the FZ-1 (or was that the fuzzrite?).  In any case, Fc for these fuzzes is a couple of octaves higher than for the Maestro fuzz (about 30Hz).

cheers   
Brett Robinson

brett

Hi
QuoteIMHO, this was the "Satisfaction"-Fuzz
The patent schematic is identical to the FZ-1 in all but two details (the first of which is trivial):
1.  The battery is said to be 3.1 V (instead of 3.0 V)
2.  The 470k resistor in the FZ-1 schematic is said to be a 470 ohm resistor.  It is clear that 470k (the schematic value) is correct.

cheers
Brett Robinson

roseblood11

brett

Hi
RG and I have had a good think about the mfz-1. I called the updated circuit the Hidrosis. It has a similar sound but has much less hiss and smoother controls.
cheers
Brett Robinson