News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

green ringer

Started by dacaumodo, August 01, 2006, 05:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dacaumodo

Has anyone recorded soundclips for the green ringer? i've only found those on ggg so far.

thanks
guillaume

Eric H

" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

g3rmanium

Call me Johann.

3/4 North

My ggg gr didn't sound that good, and I was very careful matching the parts.  Maybe the comp helped it?

Eric H

--DougH

Eric H

Quote from: 3/4 North on August 01, 2006, 12:07:26 PM
My ggg gr didn't sound that good, and I was very careful matching the parts.  Maybe the comp helped it?
& are you sure that was a green ringer?
Haha --I'm sure. Did you use a low-gain transistor for the PNP ?
The GR is a fairly subtle effect by itself . Try using some gain before (or after) it; overdrive , distortion, etc. I'm playing fairly loud through a tube amp, live.

-Eric
--DougH

dacaumodo

Brilliant. I love this sound. Thanks for the clip.

Guillaume

3/4 North

Quote from: Eric H on August 01, 2006, 12:16:14 PM
Quote from: 3/4 North on August 01, 2006, 12:07:26 PM
& are you sure that was a green ringer?
Haha --I'm sure. Did you use a low-gain transistor for the PNP ?
The GR is a fairly subtle effect by itself . Try using some gain before (or after) it; overdrive , distortion, etc. I'm playing fairly loud through a tube amp, live.

-Eric

The lowest I had, if hfe translates to gain.  It was a germanium too. Playing loud is probably the key, but there's only so much my neighbors will put up with  :)

Ge_Whiz

Hey, thanks - I never thought of preceding the Green Ringer with a compressor. Good idea.

captntasty

Just uploaded a couple samples.  First is Green Ringer solo, second is a ToneBender into Green Ringer.  Strat on neck/middle with a bit of delay.  Strat->homebrew Champ->Celestion Vintage 30->condenser close mic'd->mixer->soundcard.  Not the greatest sound quality nor fretboard prowess :icon_redface:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/GrnRngr.mp3
http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/TnBndr_GrnRngr.mp3

Very interactive with different effects combinations.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Toney

Hey, had a listen, Capt'n.               Arrrrrrrrrrrrh so did the cabin boy,,,,,,,,,, . :P

Right...

The GR has been an odd one for me. At first I thought , bah, I'll never use that, why is even popular? Then little by little I kept checking in with the darn thing. I made one, which I at once declared "broken" until I went back over the clips.
Weird in a good way. I have a friend who is into these kinds of sounds whom I lent a bunch of homebrews to. He is absoluetly gassing for a GR and an Uglyface now. And I agree, the combination can be quite something....

I really liked the sound of you're tone bender. Which version is it? And which trannies did you go with?

dacaumodo

Thanks a lot captntasty!
One more confirmation that the GR is high among my "to do" DIY list. What  a brilliant lil' box. I just wonder if the effect would be noticeable in a loud band situation, but I'll build it and see.
Thanks!
Guillaume

captntasty

Quote from: dacaumodo on August 02, 2006, 05:12:30 AM
I just wonder if the effect would be noticeable in a loud band situation, but I'll build it and see.

It's definitely worth a try in a band situation to get some sounds that most likely no other band will have.  At the very least it would be great to get that Octavia/Foxx Tone Machine lead sound around the 12th fret with a fuzz or other distortion.  The clangorous bell tones from chords would be very unique.

QuoteAt first I thought , bah, I'll never use that, why is even popular? Then little by little I kept checking in with the darn thing.

Had an identical experience - built it, goofed around with it and decided it had no place in any of my songs.  I've just revisited it and have reconsidered - some really unique sounds.

QuoteWhich version is it? And which trannies did you go with?

It's a straight up MkII.  Trannys were purchased from Small Bear - Q1 2SB77 Q2 OC81 (don't remeber why I subbed this) Q3 2N1305.  By the way, the matched sets from Small Bear are great.  If I ever get around to it I'd like to change some caps on the TB to give it a bit more bass response.

Thanks for listening

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

petemoore

captntasty
  The clips are very exemplary clips for GR, Green and Ringery... :icon_cool:
  The splatty early tones caused by the large amounts of harmonic intermodulation when 2 or more notes are played at the same time, and the Pronounced Octaves later in the clip, when less than 2 notes are the source.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.