I've got my hands on a Boss CE-1

Started by MikeH, April 14, 2007, 01:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeH

Unfortunately it doesn't work.  I'm a little hesitant about going in there and poking around, on account of there being wall current voltages in there (it has a two prong plug and an internal transformer, I'm not sure how many volts the circuit actually runs on), but I did get out my DMM and probe around a little.  Basically, there's no voltage any where on the board.  And I also probed the on/off switch lugs and nothing there.  Is it possible that the power supply transformer is no good?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

MikeH

ps- are there gut shots of these floating around?  I could take some if anyone wants to see them...

vortex

I had a CE-1 many years ago. I recall having a peek at the guts and it looked so complicated I quickly sealed it back up! I might be bolder these days but from what I remember it was wild in there!

Dirk_Hendrik

What does your DMM read when measuring the secondary voltages of the power transformer?
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

dr

Mike-I would love to see some guts shots-I also have one to repair that has parts missing and wires broken-I would love to see what it sounds like!!  thanks in advance!

MikeH

I figured out the problem.  Quite simple actually; the power on/off switch was no good.  I rigged it up for now.  It's a decent sounding chorus... a little noisy.  Gets distorted really easy too, but as long as you keep it at line level it sounds great. 

Anyway, here are the guts pics, I hope they help.

GonzoFonts

vortex

Hey, nice pics there MikeH. Now that I've seen them, I don't feel overwhelmed! Thanks for posting and I'm glad that you got her fixed.

It's a great pedal, I remember loving the Vibrato section. I remember thinking that the input could be more guitar friendly, I never did figure that out...

mfrie

I realize this is a very old post but...

I've just got a hold of one too. It doesn't work either. Maybe I'll try replacing the ON/OFF switch too.

BTW read analog man's CE-1 modification for line level issues. They offer a mod that replaces the level control pot from 50k to 500k it's a $40 min + shipping. (It sounds like a simple DIY though). I've seen that solution posted elsewhere too.

Hope that's helpfull.

Mine took out a circuit in a rehearsal room I believe because the input high/low switch was pushed in/damaged (I inherited? it from the careless prev. owner, who knew it didn't work and plugged it in and flipped the circuit at rehearsal). I've replaced the high/low switch, so maybe it was because the ON/OFF switch is bad too (though it physically looks okay).

Also does anyone know the deal with the internal fuse? I've seen pics of one that had a fuse in it. The one MikeH posted looks like mine and it's fuse-less. Usually(?) there's a fuse right by the transformer. I'm wondering if that FUSE helps protect the circuit in some way. You can see holes in the enclosure in MikeH and the wires of the transformer are capped like mine.

Here's a pic of the fuse version. Looks like a different transformer too?.