Mixing FX with a Mixer, will this work?

Started by arma61, August 09, 2007, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arma61

Hi

just an idea, will this work ?

edit: I forgot to say that I still have to buy/build the mixer so I cannot test it by myself !
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

oskar

Yes, this will work. You can see this function built in on some boxes. ( wet/dry-mixer )

CGDARK

Yes, it will work, with some points to considerate:

1. The inputs of the mixer should be high impedance (or the output of the last FX in the signal chain must be low impedance), because if the inputs are low impedance your tone will be degraded specially if one signal comes from your wah pedal as shown in the diagram.

2. The output of the FX that will be connected to the mixer (the last one from the signal chain) must be in phase with the input to prevent signal cancellation. Some manufacturers don't take this into consideration, because their pedals are designed to be place in series and not in parallel.

You can avoid this using a buffer/splitter to do the split and put a buffer (or a phase inverter if needed) at the output of the last FX. It may sounds complicated, but it is very simple. ;)

CG

Mark Hammer

+1 on what CGDARK said.

FWIW, I made myself a rackmount multi-FX 20 years ago that had a built-in mixer for just that purpose.  Worked great.

Note that if you make yourself a simple 2-input mixer in a wah shell you can actually pan/morph between effects chains.  Alternatively, you can fade adjunct sounds in or out.  For example you may want to keep a lid on echoes or a source of octave-up fuzz.

arma61

thx everybody for, as usual, suggestion.

"specially if one signal comes from your wah pedal as shown in the diagram"
the wah pedal has its own clean output, so 2 outputs in total, one "clean" and one "wahed", it's a Behringer Hellbabe, is this any good to avoid the impedance issue

"For example you may want to keep a lid on echoes or a source of octave-up fuzz."
in deed that's what I though, I would like to have a Minisynth (clone) outside the Fxs chain as it's working fine alone but very unpleasant in the chain, adding then a distorted/overdriven/octaved.... signal.

Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

CGDARK

Quote from: arma61 on August 09, 2007, 03:30:41 PM
"specially if one signal comes from your wah pedal as shown in the diagram"
the wah pedal has its own clean output, so 2 outputs in total, one "clean" and one "wahed", it's a Behringer Hellbabe, is this any good to avoid the impedance issue

If it has an output buffer on both outputs you can use it as a splitter, but still has to managed the output of the last FX in the chain as I explained before.

CG

GFR

Another thing you have to take care is to avoid creating ground loops. You may need a ground lift or isolation transformer in one of the inputs or it can hum a lot.