Laptop PS filtered (16v, 12v, 9v, and -9v) with schematic

Started by Auke Haarsma, August 26, 2007, 07:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke Haarsma

I've been working on a powersupply for my multi-fx project (see my sig for a link). I had this laptop powersupply lying around,which provides 16.3V DC.

Goals:
-clean, filtered, stable voltage output
-enough mA for 15-20 fx
-16v, 15v, 12v, 9v, and -9v (for fuzzface).

The schematic (click for a larger version):

I realize 16v input and 78L15 doesn't meet the requirement of providing 2-3V above what the 78Lxx series puts out. Nevertheless in breadboard testing I got 15V out of it.
The idea of using 15v into 12v into 9v is to spread the voltage drop and this the heat produced over multiple components.

By using multiple 9V 78L09's I hope to get some sort of 'isolated' 9V source. So I can put the switches+leds on 1 9v pad, and use a seperate pad for powering some effects. I think this will keep the footswitches from interfering with the fx signal.

the -9V will come from a MAX1044 and will be used for the Fuzzface (Geofex schematic).

I wonder if the above makes sense, if the filtering is effective and if there are things I overlooked.

Would this work in my situation?

MartyMart

Looks very well thought out and also well filtered !!
One thought ... would you have issues with the max1044 and it's -9 connection when using a
"common" PSU ground for everything else ??
I could be wrong as I'm not really a PSU builder  !
MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Auke Haarsma

If I understood R.G.'s article correctly the MAX1044 allows for using the same 'ground' (0V).So you have +9v _ GND (0V) _ -9V from 1 'main' PS. See http://geofex.com/circuits/+9_to_-9.htm