technical wizards HELP: blendable input capacitors

Started by ultar, August 29, 2007, 01:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultar

i'm working on a pedal that uses a 100k tone pot to blend between two different input capacitors. either extreme chooses one or the other but in between the caps are put in parallel to differing degrees, also adding some resistance due to the pot. here is a schematic of what i'm referring to:

i have breadboarded this and it sounds great, but am i missing some electronic issues due to the resistance between the parallel capacitors? i first tried a 5k pot simply because there is less possible resistance, but 100k gives a better range of sounds. i keep thinking that there must be some technical flaw to this idea or else i would have already read about it somewhere.

try this out because soundwise it seems a very versatile control but post any critiques (technical or audio) here.

tcobretti

ultar

then is it safe to assume this is a perfectly sound control electronically?

i was wondering why i couldn't find a confirmation of this in a search, but i must not have used the right words.

Sir H C

Personally I would tie the wiper leg of the pot to the .01uF cap.  When you start blending in the 10uF the smaller cap just gets "overridden" so you don't lose anything, and you don't necessarily get some odd volume changes if the output impedance is relatively low.

Solidhex

Dumb question but what role doe the 33k resistor play in that tone control?

-Brad