Colorsound Overdriver - Has anyone built one?

Started by Baktown, October 08, 2007, 03:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baktown

Has anyone here ever built a Colorsound Overdriver?  I have a friend in the UK, David Reid of The Contrast (http://www.myspace.com/thecontrasttheband), who asked me to build him one according to the original specs (no master volume).

I was just wondering how this thing sounds?  I can't find any sound samples anywhere.

Thanks!

Axl

slacker

There's a sound clip that Aron posted at ampage http://sounds.ampage.org/files/ColOvr.mp3
and here's a clip of mine http://www.eskimo.plus.com/fxstuff/colorsoundod.mp3, first bit's of the clip are with the gain on full into my Twin and the last part is using it as a treble boost.  It makes a good boost, and the treble and bass controls let you get a good range of tones, then if you crank the gain all the way up it makes a great fuzz. If you build it without the master volume it's very loud though so you might not be able to use the highest gain settings without making your ears bleed  :icon_twisted:

MartyMart

Me !! ( search will get you a report and photo's )
In fact there are not many OD's/Distortions or Fuzz's that I have not built !!
It's a cracker, like it a lot, I wired a master out volume on mine though - required IMO
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Ronsonic

I recently built one and am seriously digging it. Extremely versatile. You can use it as a second amp channel, hit it hard with another pedal, wind up the gain on it and get some grind or just a bit of lift and boost for a really sweet country thing. Definitely use a volume pot on the output, your friend will either thank you or he'll turn it up all the way and leave it. Jeff Beck had a master volume added to his.

This is one of the all time great pedals.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

Phorhas

Yeah, an awsome OD. It's not the tightest one around, but it gets pretty angry and deep. One col pedal, just be sure to put a volume control at the output!

:)
Electron Pusher

Baktown

Thanks everyone!  This sounds like a great OD.

What is it about the British that they design the best sounding pedals?  I know, this statement will generate some controversy!  LOL

Axl

oldrocker

Thanks Mark,
That's what I was waiting for.  Do you have the Jerkulator layout?  PM?

ruispeeds

Oh yeah, it's a very nice pedal but i think it's better to add the volume mod.
It boosts like hell;-)

oldrocker

Thanks for the HJ layout.  I still have it breadboarded and I'm ready to build it.  As usual Mark nice job.
I will be adding the volume pot to the Colorsound OD also.  Why not have it adjustable?  I've got to get busy and build.

Ronsonic

Hi Mark, I borrowed from your layout when I did mine. I notice you changed a couple resistor values from the original schematic. There's also a cap missing from across the bass control, that I assume you would wire in at the pot. If you like I can email you my layout. I arranged all the pads for the pots to run inline so I could either wire them with ribbon cable (very fast) or could just respace things a bit for mounting the pots to the PCB.

So, thanks for the ideas that our imperfect intellectual property laws allow me to steal. ;)

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

markm

Quote from: Ronsonic on October 08, 2007, 10:41:27 PM

Hi Mark, I borrowed from your layout when I did mine. I notice you changed a couple resistor values from the original schematic. There's also a cap missing from across the bass control, that I assume you would wire in at the pot. If you like I can email you my layout. I arranged all the pads for the pots to run inline so I could either wire them with ribbon cable (very fast) or could just respace things a bit for mounting the pots to the PCB.

I'd like to have a look at your schem however, are you certain it's correct?
I made mine from the schem at Fuzz Central and have alot of faith in Phillip.
What's your source?

Quote from: Ronsonic on October 08, 2007, 10:41:27 PM
So, thanks for the ideas that our imperfect intellectual property laws allow me to steal. ;)

Ron

Anytime.
Was this meant in jest?

markm

Here's the schem;
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/overdriverschem.gif
I see nothing different.
Perhaps different eras had some different construction?
I beleive this schem to be accurate to the original circuit.  :)

dxm1

I've only seen the scanned schem. There are differences from the one you linked to:

1 - The 100K offa Q1 is 120K
2 - The 500pF on Q2 is 200pF
3 - There is a 100n cap across the outer lugs of the BASS pot

These are probably insignificant, as most folks would replace the 25uFs with 22s, etc.

The only thing I'd be interested in is the missing cap on the BASS control...

DDD

For me, the clean sound is good enough, but overdrive demonstrates all of the worst features of the transistor stompbox circuitry ;-(
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Bernardduur

I have an original; first stompbox I ever bought
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

JHS

In the OD-circuit with 500pF cap and 100k resistor BC169C and BC184C trannies are mounted.
In the OD-circuit with 200pF cap and 120k resistor BC109 trannies are mounted.

The OD with BS109C trannies sounds tighter and more linear, the other circuit  has a softer, more compressed sound with stronger midrange.

JHS.

g3rmanium

Quote from: Baktown on October 08, 2007, 03:36:04 PM
I was just wondering how this thing sounds?  I can't find any sound samples anywhere.

I also have one since one or two weeks. It's an extremely fun pedal. Makes my Rocktron Piranha sound like it's about to blow up.

Noisy if you crank everything (and who doesn't? :icon_rolleyes: ).

Here's a pic:

Call me Johann.

slideman82

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! This is one of my favourites!!!!! I think it would sound better with 2N5088, but 109's are alright! You MUST put a master volume at the end, so you can use it as a fuzz/overdrive. It really sounds loud and the clipping is good, similar to the Big Muff, but better.

Told you (and everybody!) a secret: replace the bipolars with mosfets... then you told me what does it sounds like!!!!!! BIIIIIIIIIIIIG SURPRIIIIIIIIISE!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Oh, it works as a treble booster too.
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!