Grey and black Ross Compressors...any difference?

Started by skiraly017, July 16, 2008, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I searched the web but couldn't turn up any info that noted differences (other than US made or Taiwan made). It seems that both the black and grey were designated model R30. Has anyone worked on both? Any differences that would justify the price difference between the two models? Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

skiraly017

I now have the factory paperwork for the black version and from the detailed photos I have it would appear there are slight differences between the two units. If anyone has a schematic dated prior to 1979 and would be willing to share I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Mark Hammer

skiraly017

Mark, you don't happen to have the grey version schematic in your stash do you?  :icon_lol:

Mark Hammer

I don't have access to anything different than everyone else here.

Sometimes, when a company alters a model, they do so because they find they can actually make the product with less cost without sacrificing something.  Sometimes, its because an essential component has vanished with respect to sufficient reliable supply.  Sometimes, it is because an earlier shortcoming that resulted in customer complaints (e.g., noise, battery drain) has been fixed.

I have no idea if the only difference between the black and grey ones is paint, or something on the above list.  Certainly, I have no idea outside of that, which (if any) of the above factors might differentiate the two models.  For all I know, it may even be a difference (e.g., recovery time) that has long since become a "default mod" that no one would dream of making a Ross clone without.

My tongue in cheek comment about the grey one was only half joking.  For a number of years, the Ibanez UE300 contained a TS-9 but since no one had ever seen the esteemed Mr. Vaughan playing a UE300, you could buy a complete UE300 for less than the price of a TS9.  The cost differential between grey and black versions may well be similar.  Phish phans everywhere instantly recognize the little grey box, but would probably walk right past a black one.  That may account for a price differential even though there is nothing inside the damn thing that is one iota different.

analogmike

I am pretty sure I posted the difference on here before, or maybe it was on Harmony-Central before it became a place for teenage slackers to hang out ;)

The schematic is the same but the parts are different, take a look in a grey one and you will see what I mean.
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

skiraly017

Quote from: analogmike on July 17, 2008, 01:29:16 PM
I am pretty sure I posted the difference on here before, or maybe it was on Harmony-Central before it became a place for teenage slackers to hang out ;)

The schematic is the same but the parts are different, take a look in a grey one and you will see what I mean.

Hey Mike, thanks for jumping in...I have pretty detailed photos of the component sides both boards and you're right, the difference is minimal but there's one or two parts I can't make out. Since I am now absolutely obsessing over this I was hoping someone might have the grey schematic stashed away.

Grey Board -

Black Board -

The Grey board has an extra capacitor and jumper in the upper right hand corner, that's what started all this.  :icon_rolleyes:

Headshot

Quote from: skiraly017 on July 17, 2008, 03:21:23 PM
Quote from: analogmike on July 17, 2008, 01:29:16 PM

Hey Mike, thanks for jumping in...I have pretty detailed photos of the component sides both boards and you're right, the difference is minimal but there's one or two parts I can't make out. Since I am now absolutely obsessing over this I was hoping someone might have the grey schematic stashed away.

Grey Board -

Black Board -

The Grey board has an extra capacitor and jumper in the upper right hand corner, that's what started all this.  :icon_rolleyes:

You sure about that?  I only see a resistor jumper.   Otherwise the only difference is the Electro caps.

petemoore

Any differences that would justify the price difference between the two models?
  Other than the stuff Mark mentioned and market fluctuations, no, or none that I would consider 'justified'.
  I'm guessing one could become the other, perhaps with a few board alterations or even with the same board.
  Dyna / Ross for instance, either can be built on the Dyna/Ross board, some of the key differences being in the HF taming, because compressors can be noisy [ie bring noise floor up in gain], these 'addendum' components can help lower the noise floor by attenuating the higher or highest relevant frequencies to one extent or another.
  There have been numerous posts about altering the ramp/sweep which my compressor I think benefitted from, it can provide a more blatant 'squash down' effect, which I find useful for 'swell-lead' or rythms, the volume slowly 'grows'...and it seems to adjust to a 'near normal', less noticable compression setting.
  .. [also has had some of the HF's doctored...I don't know even what's in there now other than it is less than the full Dyna [some of the HF reducing components pulled or altered in value..been a while]..
  So although you may not be able to find the earlier circuit differences, the relevant alterations available to the Ross and Dyna cover [I think] most, [if not all] of the potentials of the Dyna and Ross compressor circuits.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

skiraly017

This is more a knowledge quest than a hunt for mojo. Sometimes you just need to know the how and why.  :icon_mrgreen:

skiraly017

Quote from: Headshot on July 17, 2008, 03:46:25 PMYou sure about that?  I only see a resistor jumper. Otherwise the only difference is the Electro caps.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Grey upper right hand corner - two tantalums and a jumper. Black upper right hand corner - one tantalum and one electro. Also, assuming the board layouts are the same there are a couple of resistor values that are different.

analogmike

Schematics are the same, one of the tants in the corner (and several others) is an electros on the black one. Jumper is not important, just used to make the board on the grey version.

Good luck!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

skiraly017

Quote from: analogmike on July 17, 2008, 08:38:45 PM
Schematics are the same, one of the tants in the corner (and several others) is an electros on the black one. Jumper is not important, just used to make the board on the grey version.

Good luck!

I think I see what you mean. Thanks!

dxm1

Quote from: analogmike on July 17, 2008, 08:38:45 PM

Maybe because they changed the PCB.  On the right side, in the center, the top photo has a trimpot, transistor, then a resistor.
The bottom board has trimpot, resistor, then transistor.  It's likely that the resistor and lower cap are connected, so if you
move the resistor, you'll probably have to move the cap.

signalpaths

Mark I read that Trey started using analog mikes comprosser and put away his Ross. Mike??

analogmike

Trey started using our Bicomp instead of the Grey Ross but then decided the comp was sort of a crutch to make it eaiser to play (something I wouldn't worry about!) and has been compless for a while now.

Here he is using our DynaRoss

signalpaths

Still its nice to be able to control unwanted volume spikes and what better than the two best IMO guitar comps in one box.  kudos MIKE

snap

Is there more transparency or punch in the CA3080 than in the LM3080?

cpnyc23

To set the record straight ( I know, I'm incredibly lame but I can't resist... I used to work for Trey and I've been a huge fan of his for a stupidly long time).

He did go back to using the Ross on his solo band's last tours in 2006.  Not sure if he'll be using it when he gets back to it this summer but I can tell you his tone changed drastically during the comp-less period.

Amazingly though, I'm using one of Mike's Ross-a-like comps and a TS9 modded to an 808 and I don't sound like Trey!!! 

It must be the jumper!!!   ;D

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

Mark Hammer

Gee, do ya think the one-of-a-kind Languedoc has anything to do with it? :icon_wink: