Blackheart little giant mod

Started by fuzzo, February 26, 2010, 02:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzo

Hi guys,

I have one of this blackheart amp , even I have to change the speaker in my cab , seems sounds good. But I'd like to do some mods and add some little thing to make it more "confortable" .

Schematic : http://www.blackhearttalk.com/pdf/BH5_schematic%20Rev%2020070611.pdf

I'd like to add a master volume to have a real overdriven preamp sound. No big deal , just adding a 250KA pot before the EL84 (power amp tube) .

I also want to incorporate a FX loop , something which used electronics (AOP for instance) to avoid tone sucking from pedals in that loops. I thought about buffers and things like that but the main problem is the power supply . Where take the power for this additional electronic parts ?

I think taking it from the hight voltage isn't a great ideas and from the 6V3 of filament's tube too.

So, In you opinion, what could be the best way to put an FX loop in that amp ?

Do you know another some cool mods to do, something in that case , more about tweaking "sound" of this amp ? I've the Bitmo's doc but maybe there're more interesting stuff to try.

Thanks ! :icon_biggrin: 

fuzzo

little bump.....for some informations   :-\

PRR

Master-volume is not easy on EL84... they are so sensitive you have to strangle the life out of the signal from V1-B to get any distress effect.

There's lot of info about FX loops on the internet. Including how to tap power. Unique to this amp model: there's a grounded +6V DC supply with 1,060mA load, it won't mind the 2mA-4mA more of a transistor or chip. You also have about +10VDC 50mA in EL84 cathode, and another 1mA-2mA won't hurt.
  • SUPPORTER

fuzzo

Acutally I haven't possibilities to crank up the amp to obtain an overdrive sound from the amp . So I thought adding a master volume could be a great thing to have that kind of sound

But as you said maybe that's not , and that will ruin the sound instead of increase the possibilies.

Otherwise, building an attenuator could be better.

jacobyjd

I have one of these, and I highly recommend using an attenuator with it--It sounds fantastic.

Also, with an attenuator, the effects loop and master volume would be unnecessary--plus, you could use an attenuator with other amps too :)

I've been thinking about what mods I'd like to do to mine--adding a tube rectifier would mainly be an exercise in satisfying my curiosity, but it's an easy mod, and one I've considered.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

fuzzo

Yeah, I think building an attenuator will be a better choise to begin.

Some "modder" installed that "master volume" , I think about "rat" mod , but any soundclip or explaination about it.  ???

The fx loop isn't a important thing , just an idea actually . I'll see if the delay/modulation work good in front of the amp.

But before all , changing the crappy Speaker I'm using  :icon_mrgreen:

Thomeeque

Quote from: PRR on March 01, 2010, 06:28:24 PM
Master-volume is not easy on EL84... they are so sensitive you have to strangle the life out of the signal from V1-B to get any distress effect.

Orange Tiny Terror amp uses MV on EL84 (well, pair of them but does it make difference?) and it seams to be as simple MV circuitry as it could be.. I've made a clone and had no issue here either.. T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

PRR

The TT driver is severely crippled by the 47K long-tail resistor. It has just a little excess drive full-up, so the MV can turn-down drive without huge loss of volume. This is not so easily done in simple SE drivers.
  • SUPPORTER