Ibanez 1974-1976 Overdrive

Started by Pigyboy, December 29, 2010, 03:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigyboy

Here is a board layout for the early Ibanez Overdrive that had the narrow orange box, round switch and script logo.
Several points:
There are no pull-down resistors on the board. I forgot them when I laid it out. It is easy enough to figure out where to put them and you can see them in the picture.
The 2SC828 transistors are shown on the layout opposite of the actual orientation. Check the pic & check the schematic to match up pin-outs for whatever transistors you decide to use.
I didn't try anything other than the 828's.
Also the tone pot is wired backwards. You will have to swap pins 1 & 3 if you want the traditional bass-to-treble set up.
I included a picture of the board to show the physical layout. I sized lots of the components for what I have on hand so things like the 1uf caps I used are unusual.
Enjoy

And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

roseblood11

thanx for sharing!

It´s very close to a Big Muff...

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

azrael

Yes, the big difference being the Baxandall tonestack.

Can't wait to build one!

jrod

Ben N

Quote from: azrael on December 30, 2010, 12:06:33 AM
Yes, the big difference being the Baxandall tonestack.

Can't wait to build one!

Should be easy enough to turn it into a full Bax, with bass & treble controls, although i was always under the impression that Baxendahls don't match up too well with distortion. Also, is there any reason to use two 47Ks instead of one 100k in the tonestack?
  • SUPPORTER

azrael

Yes, there's been quite a bit of experimenting with Treble/Bass Baxandall tonestack usage on the other forum.

And I never heard that they don't match up well, it's more that they are more commonly used in hi-fi applications than guitar.

roseblood11

Quote from: Ben N on December 30, 2010, 05:06:05 PM
Should be easy enough to turn it into a full Bax, with bass & treble controls, although i was always under the impression that Baxendahls don't match up too well with distortion.

Agree! Someone posted a Big Muff version with a James Tonestack at the other forum (The "James Muff"), I would prefer that. Or a simple mod for the standard tone control, as in the BYOC Large Beaver.
I made a shrinked version of notencellis "James Muff": http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/userpics/23524/james_muff_small.jpg