Its possiblew a passive delay?

Started by Crontox102098, November 17, 2012, 10:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

R.G.

That's what caves and canyons are. Long pipes, too.

The distance the sound travels has to be about 1000ft per second of delay.

Some studios used long tubes and plates of metal to do this. Hammond invented the spring delay.

You'll need some electronics, at least a microphone and an amplifier to restore the lost signal level.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Quackzed

:D :D :D :D :D
RIIIICOLA......................

...riiiiicola.....................
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

armdnrdy

Here's a passive delay.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DL-501/Passive_DELay_Line/1.html?gclid=CLCmibnM17MCFaN_QgodWCoA-Q

You'll need 600,000,000 of them to make a 600ms delay. At .50 cents a piece, it would be the most expensive delay in the world.

You would need to keep it in a bank vault until you played. Watch out for the drunk guys spilling beer on your pedal board!

Seriously, I think someone on this site worked one up. Capacitors and such if I recall. Maybe somebody will pipe in that remembers.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Quackzed

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Jazznoise

Quote from: armdnrdy on November 17, 2012, 10:51:26 PM
Here's a passive delay.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DL-501/Passive_DELay_Line/1.html?gclid=CLCmibnM17MCFaN_QgodWCoA-Q

You'll need 600,000,000 of them to make a 600ms delay. At .50 cents a piece, it would be the most expensive delay in the world.

You would need to keep it in a bank vault until you played. Watch out for the drunk guys spilling beer on your pedal board!

Seriously, I think someone on this site worked one up. Capacitors and such if I recall. Maybe somebody will pipe in that remembers.

Wow. Could also be the world's most expensive flanger - that's at worst only a 30,000,000 peice delay line.

You're probably better off getting a custom built 24 track tube tape machine with multiple read heads for either application. Solid gold chassey, too.
Expressway To Yr Null

Nasse

• SUPPORTER

wavley

New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Crontox102098

Something like this i mean....

But more little...
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

wavley

I'm not sure you're gonna build a plate reverb much smaller than that.  The EMT 240 gold foil reverb is probably the smallest of the type that still sounds good, I think the foil is 12"x12"

Any smaller and you have to go with springs, the folded line style tank might be a good place to start

and it's manufactured by beautiful girls...

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

teemuk

^ I don't see how any of those are passive in truest sense. Plates and springs are excited by a transducer and to work properly those transducers must be driven with ample power. ...Yep, you pretty much always need an amp for that so there goes your "passive" clause.

...And the terribly weak signals from their output transducers must be amplified as well. So, you actually need two amplifiers. I couldn't call that passive even if I was trying to be nice.

Theoretically those things do work passively but in practice they don't.

AFAIK, the only truly passive solution is acoustic. Once it goes electric it stops being passive.

wavley

Well, that's your answer... acoustic guitar in a cave! Because the only way to be truly passive is to never have any electricity touch the signal path.

Or you could just have fun and make a Cooper Time Cube out of ear buds and surgical tubing, the original's transducers were just SM57 capsules.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com