Choosing an OverDrive

Started by Ofek Deitch, November 23, 2012, 07:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ofek Deitch

Hey everybody :)

I need an idea for an overdrive that is easy to build and has a low part-count, cuz it has to fit in a 1590B enclosure.
I have already tried RunOffGrove's 'Grace', but it sounded to trebley in my taste, good for solos though..
I am looking for something like a Fuzz Face - low partcount and sounds really good as an OD after lowering the guitar volume knob.

The overdrive though must have exactly 3 knobs. not even one more or less, because I have already drilled and painted the enclosure because I thought I'm going to put another FF in it.
I'll check if it's possible to have only two knobs and a switch instead of the third one, if the holes aren't to big I think it will fit.

Thanks for any suggestions !
Ofek

Resynthesis

What about a Greer Ghetto Stomp? As I remember it's Electra-based, sounds pretty good and is surprisingly flexible for such a low component count.

Gus

Here is something without controls and one transistor.  You can use many different NPN silicon transistors 2N2222, MPSA18, 2N5088 etc because of the biasing used.

The gain is limited and it has an EQ curve.  Sometimes it works well with a guitar and amp sometimes not.

Input is bootstrapped.

EQ is from (R5,C3), (C4,R7,C5 and R8 and the input resistance of what follows).

roseblood11

There are hundreds of overdrive circuits that fit into a 1590b. You should tell us a bit more precise which kind of sound you like.

Pyr0

So many to choose from.....
Lovepedal Eternity has 3 knobs and a relatively low component count, it's really just a stripped down tube screamer.
There's plenty of vero layouts available for it.

Ofek Deitch

QuoteThere are hundreds of overdrive circuits that fit into a 1590b. You should tell us a bit more precise which kind of sound you like.

The thing is that I'm not really sure what I want. This is why you guys post ideas and I try them out. and if I like the overdrive I'll put it in my box.
Just suggest something you like and I'll try it :)

roseblood11

Ok, try this:
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/userpics/23524/rose_screamer_sym.gif

It fits in a 1590B if you place the parts like this:
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/userpics/23524/ce2_fa1.jpg
(I can post a gutshot if that helps...)

The board is placed on the pots, and I used small jacks and footswitch:
KLBM63 and KLBS63: http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/index.php?cPath=50_22_24_299&language=en&osCsid=916be109d6f81fd971a695e297a3c703
http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?cPath=39_40&products_id=1510&osCsid=916be109d6f81fd971a695e297a3c703

You have three quite different sounds, if you use a 2pdt on/off/on for the clipping switch:
-softclipping with SI-diodes, similar to a tube screamer
-very dynamic clipping without diodes, just the opamp (This mode sounds best if you use a OP275 for IC2!)
-hardclipping with LED's to ground, similar to a Crunchbox or Marshall Guv'nor.

S2 switches from less to more bass, in open position it's standard Tube Screamer value (C4=47nF). If you want a bit more bass in the closed position, increase C8, maybe to 100nF or 150nF.
IC3: 4580 works better than LM833, but any dual opamps is ok (TL072, NE5532AP, OPA2134...)
D1/D2: Any SI-Diode, like 1n4148, 1n914, 1n4001...

------------------
Completely different idea: Mictester posted a circuit named "Secret Sauce" at the forbidden forum...

Ofek Deitch

I really like the Ghetto Stomp, though the tone knob is pretty useless. I took out the tone knob and put a variable resistor (1k pot) in its place instead of the resistor that goes to ground from the emitter of the transistor. Also, I took out the diodes, because I liked the sound of it without them.
By the way, the pot I added really changes the sound of the pedal, when the resistance of it is zero it really turns it into a fuzz, and when it's all the way up it becomes a transparent overdrive.

I'll try Gus's suggestion and maybe roseblood11's too, but I think I'll go for the Ghetto Stomp.