First Build For The Bare Box# 1

Started by smallbearelec, December 01, 2012, 10:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

I have just posted the first of what I hope will be many builds using the modular approach that I came up with for the Bare Box # 1.

https://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/OhMyDarling/OhMyDarling.htm

While this one is "just a Rangemaster," I know many people will appreciate that the Darlington configurations eliminate the need to use scarce and expensive parts to build a superior version of this classic pedal. Of course, my next job will be turning the perfboard version into a PC board. I should have that done in the next few weeks, and we will release a full kit. Also, we will start to build some finished pedals to order--customers will be able to have their choice of circuit configuration, transistors, knob colors, and anything else we can think of.

To anticipate a question, I actually did try designing using those nice Molex connectors a long time ago. But I got discouraged because terminating the leads is very difficult using ordinary hand tools, and the proper Molex tool is ridiculously expensive. Working on the  Bare Box # 1 gave me incentive to approach the problem again, and I found a good answer in some of my long-ago experience.

Back in the early 80s, while I was living in New York's Hudson Valley, I took a job knocking on doors for a component distributor. Though it was overall a bad professional move for me, I did get to visit a variety of small manufacturers in that area. A number of them were shops that bought bulk plugs, headers, pins and wire and built assemblies to order for the local IBM plants. Fast-forward 30 years or so; I asked one of these companies to make the connectors that you see in the article. I now have almost everything you would need for a basic build posted in the Stock List, and terminated wire in various colors is getting done as I type.

With our best wishes for a joyous holiday season, we hope that this latest evolution of the "Beast" inspires lots of new builds, new builders and musical madness.

SD and the Small Bear Staff

Mustachio

Love the molex connectors! The finished interior and finish looked awesome! Gonna have to give some of these molex connectors a try on my next barebox. Nice work getting us some new stuff for DIY!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

midwayfair

Beautiful aesthetics on that build.

I can't believe that with the first run sold out that there aren't more pictures of builds in these posted. This and Moustacio's contest entry are all we've seen.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

R O Tiree

...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Gus

smallbearelec

Quote from: culturejam on December 02, 2012, 02:03:35 PM
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36437

Thank you so much for pointing this out! I had thoought about creating a "Szik" "three-transistor Fuzz Face." It would use a hybrid silicon-germanium Sziklai pair (could be PNP or NPN depending on what you have available) with the gain adjusted to replace one hard-to-find/expensive device. Maybe this would be for the Q2 position, tweaked to a gain of 125 or so. Then Q1 is a 2N440x or 2N412x, which are not hard to find in the 80-90 range, and you are off to creating a "perfect" FF for a few garbanzos.

SD

jdub

Beautiful, tasteful work there, Steve.  I find the modular approach very intriguing, but it seems a bit more work intensive than my current approach.  Do you find this to be the case?
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

smallbearelec

Quote from: jdub on December 03, 2012, 11:13:36 AM
I find the modular approach very intriguing, but it seems a bit more work intensive than my current approach.  Do you find this to be the case?

Doing the circuit on perf,  of course it's a god-awfully difficult build, though very satisfying. But once I get a PCB made it will be like assembling a toy! And there will eventually be lots of circuit "blox" that can be screwed-and-plugged in place.

jdub

A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

radio

Dig the 5 Pot PCB!

And the 'anti-mojo' transistors of course ;D
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!