Enclosure Size Reference

Started by Jdansti, December 10, 2012, 02:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

Maybe this info is already out there, but I couldn't find it.

There is more than one part number for some of the common enclosures we use, and I find it difficult to remember which is which. I've  listed some of the enclosure sizes below and included the nominal dimensions.  Please let me know if you know of any other sizes/models I should include or if you see any errors.

[This is currently a working copy made on my iPhone. I will clean up the appearance on a "real computer" ;) when it is final]

It's been pointed out that Hammond and Eddystone enclosures have similar nominal dimensions, but the Eddystones have square corners as opposed to Hammond's rounded corners. I'll update the table with the equivalent Eddystone numbers. (Thanks Kesh :) )

Hammond Enclosures: http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
Eddystone Enclosures: http://www.hammondmfg.com/eddydwg.htm

I'd like to keep this list updated and make it easy for forumites to find it in a search. As such, I'm listing some key words: Enclosure box Hammond size dimensions 1590LB 1090NS 1590A 1290NS 125C 1590B 125B 1590NS 125BB 1060NS 1690 1590BB 1590C 1790NS 2090NS 1590N1 Bare Box #1
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Kesh

beware the difference between Hammond and Eddystone (which is now owned by Hammond i think)

same size coding, but a much less attractive square cornered design to them.

Jdansti

Quote from: Kesh on December 10, 2012, 05:37:54 AM
beware the difference between Hammond and Eddystone (which is now owned by Hammond i think)

same size coding, but a much less attractive square cornered design to them.

Thanks Kesh. I added a note to the original post and will update the table with the Eddystone numbers. Do you (or anyone else) know if some suppliers are listing Hammond model numbers but shipping Eddystone enclosures?
  • SUPPORTER

markeebee

Thanks guys, good reference.

Anyone enlighten me why the dimensions are so random?  I'd always just assumed that the bonkers metric measurements would resolve to some sensible imperial size, but apparently not.  Looking at the drawing for a 1590b, the screw centres are almost exactly 2" and 4", buut everything else is all over the shop.

FWIW, I prefer the squarer corners of the Eddystone boxes.

amptramp

The entire list for Hammond and Eddystone (which is now offered by Hammond) is here:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm

Jdansti

Quote from: amptramp on December 10, 2012, 09:47:53 AM
The entire list for Hammond and Eddystone (which is now offered by Hammond) is here:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm

Thanks Ron. I added links for the Hammond and Eddystone lines.
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: markeebee on December 10, 2012, 09:22:18 AM

Anyone enlighten me why the dimensions are so random?  I'd always just assumed that the bonkers metric measurements would resolve to some sensible imperial size, but apparently not.  Looking at the drawing for a 1590b, the screw centres are almost exactly 2" and 4", buut everything else is all over the shop.

Thanks for pointing out the conversion issue.

The dimensions listed on the Hammond and other websites were a mixture of imperial fractional and imperial decimal. I converted them to decimal and metric without "tweaking" the converted metric values. It could be that a manufacturer might round a funky dimension to the next closet even value.

For example, PedalPartsPlus.com lists the 125B as 4 5/8" x 2 1/2" x 1 1/2", which I converted to 4.63" x 2.5" x 1.5" and 117.6mm x 63.5mm x 38.10mm.  If I had  used 4.625" for 4 5/8, then I would have gotten 117.475mm, which might make more sense.

However, the Hammond website lists the 1590B as 4.409" x 2.382" x 1.22".   I mistakenly listed 4.409" as 4.40", but either way, neither number converts to a clean fraction (halves, fourths, eighths, sixteenths, etc.).

I'll revisit the table and take the imperial measurements out to 1/1000 so that it makes a little more sense.  The important thing to remember when looking at the dimensions is to think of them as nominal. I'll also add a note that the dimensions are the outer dimensions.
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

I always thought that you were a little bit "square". ;)
  • SUPPORTER

rutabaga bob

Nice work, John!  I hate having to dig out a catalog to look this stuff up...
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

GGBB

Thanks John.

I use the 1590N1 which is

Inches 4.77L x 2.6W x 1.39H
mm 121.1L x 66W x 35.3H

Note that the dimensions that Hammond lists for depth/height are "less lid" - why they would do that I have no clue.  Other dimensions including insides can be found in the enclosure spec sheets, and from those you can calculate the actual total outer height, which is typically 4mm greater than the "Less lid" spec (at least for the 1590 series).  Whether or not the other brand dimensions are also "less lid" I don't know.
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Anyone enlighten me why the dimensions are so random?  I'd always just assumed that the bonkers metric measurements would resolve to some sensible imperial size, but apparently not.  Looking at the drawing for a 1590b, the screw centres are almost exactly 2" and 4", buut everything else is all over the shop.

The dies used to cast the aluminum may be standard dimensions but aluminum will shrink by about 5% cooling down from the melting point to room temperature.  This may be where the different numbers come from.

CodeMonk

Also be aware that vendors like Digikey and Mouser may list different dimensions for the same enclosure.
For example a 1590X :
Digikey : 5.72 X 4.77 X 2.22
Mouser : 5.72 x 4.77 x 2.06
Hammond : 5.72 X 4.77 X 2.06

I'm guessing Digikey is including the thickness of the cover?
(I dunno, I didn't check)

Jdansti

Thanks for all of the comments and info. I'm in the process of updating the table.

Is there a 1060NS enclosure or did I make that one up? I can't find any such beast on the web.
  • SUPPORTER

Mustachio

I've used the 1590XX and its great! Smaller then a 1590DD larger then a 1590BB

5.72X4.77X1.55"

"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Jdansti

Thanks for the info Jim. I'll add them to the table.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

Quote from: CodeMonk on December 10, 2012, 11:47:50 PM
Also be aware that vendors like Digikey and Mouser may list different dimensions for the same enclosure.
For example a 1590X :
Digikey : 5.72 X 4.77 X 2.22
Mouser : 5.72 x 4.77 x 2.06
Hammond : 5.72 X 4.77 X 2.06

I'm guessing Digikey is including the thickness of the cover?
(I dunno, I didn't check)

That would be my guess too. 2.22" - 2.06" = 0.14" ~ 4mm
  • SUPPORTER

Lizard King

The 125B's I've been buying are listed at 122mm x 66mm x 39.5mm.

I like the size and the price.

Jdansti

^Good point. After looking at another website, it appears that the 125B's (and probably others) have slanted sides, so the top dimensions are different than the bottom dimensions. Nothing wrong with that, it just makes it difficult to have a simple summary of the dimensions in a table.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

The Hammond 1590 boxes have slanted sides as well (2 degrees or less).  Comparing the chart to the spec sheets for the A, B, and BB, the outer sizes appear to be what are stated in their summary chart, but there is a 0.5mm variance sometimes.
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

I guess the "Modify" feature is not available after so many days, so l'll post the updated table here.

[This is currently a working copy made on my iPhone. I will clean up the appearance on a "real computer"  when it is final].

Please let me know if you know of any other sizes/models I should include or if you see any errors.

It's been pointed out that Hammond and Eddystone enclosures have similar nominal dimensions, but the Eddystones have square corners as opposed to Hammond's rounded corners. I'll update the table with the equivalent Eddystone numbers. (Thanks Kesh  )

Hammond Enclosures: http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
Eddystone Enclosures: http://www.hammondmfg.com/eddydwg.htm
  • SUPPORTER