Ruby amp question

Started by jnash85, December 10, 2012, 02:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnash85

While looking for a new amp I came across the Ruby amp. I have a few requirements and I think this will suit them better than anything on the market.

- Will only be used at home, so must sound good at bedroom levels
- Need a clean sound that will take pedals well

I would like to start with the stock ruby amp. I will use the speaker and cabinet from my Fender 25R Frontman. I would like to gradually add other projects to the amp. Ultimately I would like three selectable channels (Umble, Azabache, and Tonemender) that is then fed into the ruby. I would also upgrade the cabinet and speaker.

Would that be possible? I like this idea because I can get up and running with with a Ruby quickly, and gradually add the other projects as my budget allows.

How would this compare to say, just dropping $100 on a Vox Pathfinder.

LucifersTrip

on the Rubys I've made there is always some small distortion, even when the gain is turned down. so, don't know if you'll get the clean you wanted.

though, i'm not a master of the Ruby...

always think outside the box

jogina111

theres a little distortion when you strum hard but at bedroom level,like volume at 5, its all clean..you might want  your 3 channels to be a pedal, I think its more enjoyable than sticking it as part of the amp.

jnash85

Ok. I just ordered the parts to build a Ruby. Is it reasonable to expect it to sound as good or better as ~ $100 solid state amp? I will be using my Fender 25R Frontman cab / speaker to start.

jogina111

that depends on your understanding of whats a good sound is...but its a treasure for me. :) you can always mod it to your preference.

ricothetroll

QuoteUltimately I would like three selectable channels (Umble, Azabache, and Tonemender) that is then fed into the ruby.
you might be interrested by my current project :
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=101220.msg892964#msg892964
I'm etching the PCBs today so layout is on the way, I'll publish it once built and verified.
Best regards.