why haven't these enclosures caught on?

Started by joelindsey, December 11, 2012, 02:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelindsey

Maybe this has already been discussed, but:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg_OctTrap.htm

You can get them in a few colors, and last I checked mouser had some in stock. Has anyone here made use of them? The narrow trapezoid in particular seems like a fun alternative to the 1590B. I'm surprised some of the more stompbox-oriented retailers aren't stocking these.

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

LucifersTrip

because most people are square...or rectangles...and they're probably expensive
always think outside the box

Mustachio

Let's see I've used the small traps to make a TS special, Rebote 2.5 , MXR Blue Box. The wide trap to make a mesa boogie mark IV preamp(SS) and an octagon to make a modded fuzz face. I like all of those shapes there seems to be enough room in all of them to make lots of projects. Give em a try.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

R.G.

I think it may be as simple as the fact that most people have from several to many pedals, and mount them on rectangular pedalboards, where a rectangular array of pedals is most compact.  We make non-rectangular pedals, and one of the most common comments we get is "I really love the sound, but why is is shaped funny like that?"

It's funny. The world of musical equipment has gotten much more conservative over time. Back in the mid to late 60s, having a different looking guitar, amp, pedal, clothes, hair, whatever was valued in the world of popular music. Non-rectangular pedals were popular - as witness the fuzz face, rocket fuzz, the trapezoidal Vox line of pedals, plexiglass guitars, 12 string Phantom Mandolin, Vox Phantom and Invader guitars, rubber-stringed basses - I could go on but you get the idea. Today, guitarists seem to want to convince you how different their music is and how vintage their gear is.  :icon_wink:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

The trapezoid ones might be a little more palatable to the "conservative musicians" with vintage gear and different music.  :icon_rolleyes:

pkenney

The trap shape is cool. You could possibly put input and output on the short size to save some space and not have cords sticking out. Shape and design should be functional I think so as long as it can be practical, have fun!

wavley

Quote from: R.G. on December 11, 2012, 09:01:04 AM
I think it may be as simple as the fact that most people have from several to many pedals, and mount them on rectangular pedalboards, where a rectangular array of pedals is most compact.  We make non-rectangular pedals, and one of the most common comments we get is "I really love the sound, but why is is shaped funny like that?"

It's funny. The world of musical equipment has gotten much more conservative over time. Back in the mid to late 60s, having a different looking guitar, amp, pedal, clothes, hair, whatever was valued in the world of popular music. Non-rectangular pedals were popular - as witness the fuzz face, rocket fuzz, the trapezoidal Vox line of pedals, plexiglass guitars, 12 string Phantom Mandolin, Vox Phantom and Invader guitars, rubber-stringed basses - I could go on but you get the idea. Today, guitarists seem to want to convince you how different their music is and how vintage their gear is.  :icon_wink:

Richard Pryor playing those funny shaped Vox drums, bass/trumpet players with a hook hand, young Gary Busey, Shelly Winters as terrible mom, Senator Hal Holbrook, fun lighting, a congress on LSD... the 60's were AWESOME!

Just messing with you R.G., I actually agree wholeheartedly, making all those weird shaped pedals fit on a pedalboard is half the fun.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Mark Hammer

It's funny, you know.  When I look at the trapezoidal boxes, my first reaction is to the presence of the "long side", and I think "Cool, a little extra real estate would come in handy for putting in more stuff".  Other folks look at the slanted and "short" sides and either think "Now I can't line them up properly" or "Crap! they shortchanged me there.  They coulda put in what's missing, but they didn't".

So, is it a white fish on a black background, or a black one on a white background?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 11, 2012, 03:40:23 PM
So, is it a white fish on a black background, or a black one on a white background?

It's both.  :icon_wink:

Pedal love

I need an octagonal shaped housing to go with some Octavia circuit. :icon_cool:

nocentelli

I like the TRPCs best, they tessellate nicely and there would have been room to fit two footswitches across the front either way round: They also don't take up too much depth with top-mounted jacks. The octagon and smaller TRPB look cool, though maybe aren't as practical. The finish seems fairly durable so far, and a factory grey painted one with some vintage mojo knobs would look suitably retro. I believe John Lyons has done a fair few of these. In fact, this is one of the coolest things I've seen for a while: http://www.basicaudio.net/images/125B-wedge.jpg - That would be really great done on a 1590TRPb, in either orientation.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: nocentelli on December 11, 2012, 04:45:26 PM
In fact, this is one of the coolest things I've seen for a while: http://www.basicaudio.net/images/125B-wedge.jpg - That would be really great done on a 1590TRPb, in either orientation.

I was just thinking the same thing. When TTD posted his, I knew I was going to do it to most of my future builds.
Having them arrayed like that with a slant would make it like a modular multi-effect
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

John Lyons

Nice pedal trapezoid board! Love it.

Here are a few I've done.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Canucker

Your right everything music related has gotten more conservative and safe...it's like there is still a hangover happening from pointy cheese log guitars of the 80's.  People go conservative for that "classic look" that never goes out of style...or if they do do something a little out there its overstated and a joke. It seems like if someone doesn't want to go with standard strat, les paul or pbass look on stage its "way out" there to go with a jaguar or a rickenbaker bass. Its no wonder that with the lack of creativity or copycat approach the majority of bands/performers have these days that 90% of music today is lame and uninspired. If someone is turned off by a pedal that has a bit of a different look cus it takes a half inche of extra space or maybe and inch worth...they are probably have to many pedals on they're board.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Canucker on December 12, 2012, 12:00:19 AM
everything music related has gotten more conservative and safe...it's like there is still a hangover happening from pointy cheese log guitars of the 80's.  People go conservative for that "classic look" that never goes out of style...or if they do do something a little out there its overstated and a joke. It seems like if someone doesn't want to go with standard strat, les paul or pbass look on stage its "way out" there to go with a jaguar or a rickenbaker bass.

I must be a REAL freaking weirdo. I play Parker Flys exclusively.

Electron Tornado

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

WhenBoredomPeaks

Quote from: Canucker on December 12, 2012, 12:00:19 AM

Your right everything music related has gotten more conservative and safe...it's like there is still a hangover happening from pointy cheese log guitars of the 80's.  People go conservative for that "classic look" that never goes out of style...or if they do do something a little out there its overstated and a joke. It seems like if someone doesn't want to go with standard strat, les paul or pbass look on stage its "way out" there to go with a jaguar or a rickenbaker bass. Its no wonder that with the lack of creativity or copycat approach the majority of bands/performers have these days that 90% of music today is lame and uninspired. If someone is turned off by a pedal that has a bit of a different look cus it takes a half inche of extra space or maybe and inch worth...they are probably have to many pedals on they're board.

What if the whole "instruments thing" is considered conservative today and the creative/cutting-edge minds are using software nowadays?

joelindsey

I think it may be as simple as the fact that most people have from several to many pedals, and mount them on rectangular pedalboards, where a rectangular array of pedals is most compact.  We make non-rectangular pedals, and one of the most common comments we get is "I really love the sound, but why is is shaped funny like that?"

...Non-rectangular pedals were popular - as witness the fuzz face, rocket fuzz, the trapezoidal Vox line of pedals, plexiglass guitars, 12 string Phantom Mandolin, Vox Phantom and Invader guitars, rubber-stringed basses - I could go on but you get the idea. Today, guitarists seem to want to convince you how different their music is and how vintage their gear is.  :icon_wink:

It's a shame people have gotten so accustomed to the same old rectangle box pedals that take up as little space as possible. I like weird and big enclosures! Half the reason I like using a big muff is because it is actually BIG. There's some kind of gratification that comes from stepping on a huge metal wedge with the big knobs and all that I can't get from a 1590B. Sounds ridiculous, but it's true.

I feel like that's part of the big appeal of vintage gear in general. The funky boxes, shapes and colors - even if there's nothing special inside, it's a lot more fun to use. Nobody does that anymore!

John Lyons: those trapezoids look amazing!

armdnrdy

I have another question for Mr. Lyons,

How are you going about attaching the LEDs to the enclosure without a bezel?

And....where do you purchase the low profile toggle switches?

Oh... and your builds look great!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)