Whammy 4 - Noise when off?!

Started by Jaicen_solo, December 13, 2012, 05:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaicen_solo

I have a weird problem gents.

I recently repaired an old Whammy 4 that was having problems.
It would work, but only if you pressed down on the case, leading me to suspect a bad solder joint. I resoldered the jacks but that didn't help, so I went through and resoldered a bunch of the SMD components that look like they are in the signal path. Not the most technical solution, but it started working again, which was a result!

Anyway, the problem i'm having is that the whammy appears to be adding noise to the signal somehow, even when it's not powered!
It's some sort of digital sounding 'hash' but I can't account for it.

Is there something in there acting as an antennae?

Jaicen_solo

Hmm, just tried it again and it appears to still be a cutting out intermittently.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Mike Burgundy

Kinda sounds like a bad joint still if it does it when powered. I have no idea if a whammy4 is true bypass - I have a 2, definitely not TB and will NOT pass signal if not powered. If it is TB, and it does it in bypass, it should be relatively simple to find.
Unpowered electronics that are connected to live inputs can make weird noises all by themselves - we once spent half an hour tracking a weird intermittent bzzrsschllt noise which turned out to be our drummers drumpads through the PA - while the pads were off. Turned them on, noise gone.
edit: also make sure the board and components aren't touching anything they shouldn't.

pinkjimiphoton

and if you t/b'd it, make sure you watch your lead dressing, don't let 'em run across the board touching if you can help it.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Jaicen_solo

Is bog standard if that helps.
I'm going to go over the board again tomorrow evening to see if I can find the problem.

Jaicen_solo

Still no joy. It's going back to Digitech tomorrow  :'(