general guitar gadgets 60's fuzz help

Started by noles19, December 29, 2012, 11:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noles19

this is my first time building a pedal and i could use some help with answering some questions and making sure i have everything in order.

ok first question. i got the transistors from small bear and they sent the resistor values with them but when i was looking around trying to answer my questions for my self i saw some old threads where people buying from small bear received the resistors and the values.so my first question is did they stop sending them with transistors or did they get left out of mine by mistake?

second question.  with the trimmer pot, i saw a old post recommending to use the 10k trimmer pot and a 5 to 10k resistor in r5 is that still the best option?

and is there any chance the radio shack would have the 10k and 110 k resistor i need?
sorry for the newb questions  :icon_redface:

LucifersTrip

you never
Quote from: noles19 on December 29, 2012, 11:53:55 PM
so my first question is did they stop sending them with transistors or did they get left out of mine by mistake?
and is there any chance the radio shack would have the 10k and 110 k resistor i need?

resistors are the most common & cheapest component and are a penny each, literally
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/resistors/1-4w-carbon-film-resistors/test-group-2.html

which is probably why not included...most DIY-er have a stock ready to go

second question.  with the trimmer pot, i saw a old post recommending to use the 10k trimmer pot and a 5 to 10k resistor in r5 is that still the best option?

it is good, generally since you should be able to hit ~ 4.5V on Q2 collector in the 5K - 15K range. If you have to go too far out of that range to get 4.5V, it prob won't sound great.

edit:
above true for Face Face. you never mentioned the specific fuzz.
always think outside the box

noles19

Quote from: LucifersTrip on December 30, 2012, 03:17:11 AM
you never
Quote from: noles19 on December 29, 2012, 11:53:55 PM
so my first question is did they stop sending them with transistors or did they get left out of mine by mistake?

resistors are the most common & cheapest component and are a penny each, literally
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/resistors/1-4w-carbon-film-resistors/test-group-2.html

which is probably why not included...most DIY-er have a stock ready to go

second question.  with the trimmer pot, i saw a old post recommending to use the 10k trimmer pot and a 5 to 10k resistor in r5 is that still the best option?

it is good, generally since you should be able to hit ~ 4.5V on Q2 collector in the 5K - 15K range. If you have to go too far out of that range to get 4.5V, it prob won't sound great.

edit:
above true for Face Face. you never mentioned the specific fuzz.

thanks you! i think i'll go with the trim pot and a 10k in r5, and sorry about that it is a fuzz face kit that comes with a few mods.
also i hope i didn't come across negatively towards small bear their service was incredible i ordered friday morning and received them the next monday!
thank you again.