Best distortion pedal that fits my song

Started by Rock_on, December 30, 2012, 02:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock_on

ok, so im done with my modded electra distortion..

i dont know why im addicted i making pedals but i am. hahaha

anyway this kind of songs i used to play (i mean when making covers only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUNpimOjGKk

or anything by Yui, Aqua timez (Velonica, Alones) if you want to know them try searching on youtube...

Quackzed

lead guitar sounds kinda trebly heavy overdrive... maybee even a wah pedal after an od to get that peaky treble...
as for what pedal it is? i think an sd-1 could get you close ,maybee lower the input cap to cut a bit more bass than stock, and crank the gain up...
you could probably buy a used one cheap, its basically a tube screamer, so that'd work as well.
as for clones that are on the market...  behringer TO-100 is an sd-1 clone i think...
bad monkey is a tubescreamer clone, also the fab overdrive is a variation...

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Kipper4

I'd never heard of Yui. Thanks for sharing man.
I dont understand a word she's singing but i had to listen to the whole thing.
Thanks again. I'm gonna go see if i can get some cd's now.
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

slacker

Japanese power pop, could there be anything poppier?

I think Gil is spot on, clean bright amp with tube screamer type overdrive will get that sort of sound.

Jazznoise

I dunno how she can sound that good through a Beta 57. The mind boggles!  :icon_lol:

Anyway, clean amp with an overdrive is spot on to me. A TS-808 or a DS-1 might ballpark it. She's using a jazzmaster - I'm guessing the rhythm circuit, her tone is quite muted. His is a Gibson (copy?) but it's bridge pickup all the way. Really nice shimmer - both of those guitars are pretty compressed sounding to me too. Maybe a 57 or an E609 on the cabs? Very noticable midrange bump!

It might sound a little odd, but listen to the snare. Notice how it stays well outside of the guitars frequency range. A "bigger" sounding snare and those guitars wouldn't work as well. The overheads are mostly for cymbal stuff and it's noticably high passed - again, keeping the midrange open for the guitars and voice. Her voice sits above the guitars aswell - plenty of top end added, I'd say. None of the 1-2khz aggression of the guitar. Bass guitar is fairly muted, not alot above 500hz. Kick is sidechained to it so it can sit out against it as its also pretty thuddy (hear the volume swell when the kick its on the bass?). Organ sound on the keys is kept pretty low too, just enough to fill out the chorus.

Also notice how low down the Wah Guitar is kept at 1:35 - keeping it out of the way of the vocal. There's loads there. No such thing as accidents!
Expressway To Yr Null

Quackzed

yeah i noticed that as well every instrument is safely in it's own bandwidth which, individually, are a bit narrow. this helps serve the vocal and not compete.
but yeah, as noted bass is kept below the vocal mid range, guitars are kept above it, even the snare is narrow and focused. a tidy and unmuddy stage sound.
very neat and tidy!

Jazznoise

Always makes me ask.

"Is this a great guitar tone or a great mix?"
Expressway To Yr Null

Rock_on

Quote from: Quackzed on December 30, 2012, 09:02:59 AM
lead guitar sounds kinda trebly heavy overdrive... maybee even a wah pedal after an od to get that peaky treble...
as for what pedal it is? i think an sd-1 could get you close ,maybee lower the input cap to cut a bit more bass than stock, and crank the gain up...
you could probably buy a used one cheap, its basically a tube screamer, so that'd work as well.
as for clones that are on the market...  behringer TO-100 is an sd-1 clone i think...
bad monkey is a tubescreamer clone, also the fab overdrive is a variation...

thanks for the instant reply..

QuoteI'd never heard of Yui. Thanks for sharing man.
I dont understand a word she's singing but i had to listen to the whole thing.
Thanks again. I'm gonna go see if i can get some cd's now.
Rich

hahaha... i like JROCK (i call it Jrock. hahahha.. if there's KPOP there is JROCK)

i never thought it is an overdrive.. i thought it was slight Distortion.. coz i have here is ELECTRA DISTORTION. which i posted here before..

hmm maybe i'll just remodify it... to make it an overdrive.. just look on this

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=100630.0

Rock_on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Ejkj55eeU

another one....

especially the solo part of yui.

Quackzed

od/distortion can be a fine line. the sd-1 and tube screamer get into distortion territory at high gains, and the ds-1 (boss distortion) can be overdrivey at low gains theres no really clear line between the 2, its more the 'character' of the distortion that makes me think of the sd-1 or tubescreamer, they have a sort of creamy or smooth character to their distortion sound whereas a ds-1 or 'diode to ground' type clippers tend to have an edgy crunchy character to their distortion sound...

Rock_on

Quote from: Quackzed on December 31, 2012, 03:03:23 AM
od/distortion can be a fine line. the sd-1 and tube screamer get into distortion territory at high gains, and the ds-1 (boss distortion) can be overdrivey at low gains theres no really clear line between the 2, its more the 'character' of the distortion that makes me think of the sd-1 or tubescreamer, they have a sort of creamy or smooth character to their distortion sound whereas a ds-1 or 'diode to ground' type clippers tend to have an edgy crunchy character to their distortion sound...

for me that makes a big difference

Ben N

Her guitar looks like a Jaguar with humbuckers to me.
  • SUPPORTER

Rock_on

Quote from: Ben N on December 31, 2012, 05:33:03 AM
Her guitar looks like a Jaguar with humbuckers to me.

humbucker? it sounds like singles to me...

well thanks.. cause i dont know any name for the designs of guitars...

hahaha now i can buy a guitar that is same to her..

pls look to her live convert, can you tell me what guitar she has there?