Eternity Overdrive ...

Started by HOTTUBES, December 30, 2012, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTTUBES

Is this Eternity OD verified ....
I'm having alot of trouble getting it going .... just thought i would ask ....
It will not pass audio with effected circuit ON , by- pass works fine ???

Thanks

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: HOTTUBES on December 30, 2012, 06:33:19 PM
Is this Eternity OD verified ....
I'm having alot of trouble getting it going .... just thought i would ask ....
Thanks

It is. I knocked one up a few weeks ago.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

HOTTUBES

Ok  ..... i must have messed up along the way !!
I'll keep checking ....

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: HOTTUBES on December 30, 2012, 06:40:31 PM
I'll keep checking ....

would you like me to check my voltages for you?
  • SUPPORTER

SmoothAction

I can tell you this layout is 100% verified. I've built several. I highly recommend triple checking components, placement of components, and solder bridges. 95% of my vero issues are due to a solder bridge. Take a razor blade, and LIGHTLY run the tip in between the tracks. Not too harshly, if you do you'll have particles of conductive particle crap everywhere. Good luck brother! It wouldn't hurt to post pics btw...

But if you're getting absolutely "nothing" in bypass, check your wiring dude! Make sure your bypass is wired according to the diagram you are using. Again, pictures would be über helpful.  :)
"Never heard a man speak like this man before, never heard a man speak like this man before. All the days of my life ever since I've been born, never heard a man speak like this man before."

SmoothAction

"Particles of conductive particle crap"... Horrendous typo on my part. My bad. ;)

If I were you right now, I'd check my ground connections. Switch, jacks, board, wiring, etc... No sound at all in effect mode *to me* means I've fudged the signal path, or I've fudged the ground connections. Always always always triple check. Vero can be a SOB, especially wiring.

No offense if you're well trained brother. Just my 2c, I know first hand this layout is legit and sounds as advertised.

Vero is a harsh mistress sometimes. Let us know.
"Never heard a man speak like this man before, never heard a man speak like this man before. All the days of my life ever since I've been born, never heard a man speak like this man before."

HOTTUBES

No , it's all good advise !!

The By pass works 100%
There's no audio at all with effect ON ...

I have checked all my component locations on the board ( and i mean CHECKED it ...fine tooth comb like )
I have removed almost all the components one at a time and measured there value's to be sure ...
I have swapped my op amp for a known good one ...
I have checked for proper cut's & jumper's ...
I have verified proper voltage entering the board , and verified a good ground at the board ...
I have checked my Volume pot to make sure it's not NFG !
I have checked for any soldered bridges on the trace side - None ... ( i also do the razor trick as well ..)
I have checked my switch to make sure that the effect out from Volume 2 enters the switch & goes out to the Jack when effect is ON .

What i have not done yet , is check the pin voltages at the op amp ....
Maybe there's a gremlin hiding there ?

Thanks for your Help !!

HOTTUBES

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on December 30, 2012, 06:59:42 PM
Quote from: HOTTUBES on December 30, 2012, 06:40:31 PM
I'll keep checking ....

would you like me to check my voltages for you?

Thanks , that would be Great , as i'm no expert in this area etc etc ....
I will post them later tonight if i get time ....

SmoothAction

Persistence and a set of well rested eyes will claim you a victory. Faith. Precision. You can rock it.

Or you could just pull a 'me' and redo the whole thing.  :D  With vero more than any other build medium, I was (in retrospect) happier building a new board than debugging a faulty vero. Now I know not to stress over spilled milk.

Get some sleep, watch some x-files, then grind on it tomorrow. I'd be happy to post IC V's as well.

HOTTUBES

Quote from: SmoothAction on December 30, 2012, 11:57:06 PM
Persistence and a set of well rested eyes will claim you a victory. Faith. Precision. You can rock it.

Or you could just pull a 'me' and redo the whole thing.  :D  With vero more than any other build medium, I was (in retrospect) happier building a new board than debugging a faulty vero. Now I know not to stress over spilled milk.

Get some sleep, watch some x-files, then grind on it tomorrow. I'd be happy to post IC V's as well.

Don't feel bad , i've just rebuilt many myself .. Ha !!

HOTTUBES

If anyone has a moment to look at these voltages of my build , i would super appreciate it !!!
Fallowing a standard duel op-amp pin layout these are the voltages :
Effect circuit switched ON , all pots turned to half with NO guitar signal being applied ...

Open voltage - 8.46 v

Pin1 = 3.53       Pin8 = 7.20
Pin2 = 3.62       Pin7 = 3.62
Pin3 = 3.32       Pin6 = 3.62
Pin4 = 0            Pin5 = 3.62

These don't look right to me .... But i'm not sure how the number game goes in this case ...

Thanks for looking !

haveyouseenhim

My voltages at 9.35V

1. 4.04        8. 7.91
2. 4.17        7. 4.15
3. 3.80        6. 4.15
4. 0            5. 4.15

I think its your wiring or a bridge somewhere. Our voltages are the same relative to each others open voltage

Hope this helps :)
  • SUPPORTER

HOTTUBES

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on December 31, 2012, 01:42:18 AM
My voltages at 9.35V

1. 4.04        8. 7.91
2. 4.17        7. 4.15
3. 3.80        6. 4.15
4. 0            5. 4.15

I think its your wiring or a bridge somewhere. Our voltages are the same relative to each others open voltage

Hope this helps :)

Thanks , i'll keep looking !

SmoothAction

The IC V's are pretty much the same... Haveyouseenhim's voltages are higher just a *smidge*. Can you verify this haveyouseenhim? Are your pots at noon while checking V's? Or does that not even matter (anyone smarter)? There is a striking similarity in IC voltages between you two. Haveyouseenhim's V's are relatively the same as far as IC goes.. Just a bit higher.

HOTTUBES

Yes , his voltages are a bit higher due to his open voltage being a touch higher to begin with etc ...
I have checked all my related wiring as well , it seems to check out ..
All my cap values are correct according to the cap codes printed on the side of each ..
I also measure each cap , resistor before i install it on the board to ensure problems like this don't happen !!
I have also remeasured all but two of the resistors on the board , and they check out correct according to the vero specs ...
I also now have checked the Tone pot , and well as the Gain pot to make sure they read proper during there sweep ..... seem fine imo .

yep , this is a good 'er , i have done many vero builds in the past where i have just decided to rebuild and move on , then found out what the problem was after during a postmortem .... but i'm determined to figure this one out !!!

Damn Vero anyway !!!    ::)

Ben N

Do you still have it connected through the bypass switch? It's a good practice to test your builds first without any kind of bypass--then at least you know the build itself is good, and if you end up with a problem when the wiring is done, it is easily localized.
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Ben N on December 31, 2012, 05:23:11 AM
Do you still have it connected through the bypass switch? It's a good practice to test your builds first without any kind of bypass--then at least you know the build itself is good, and if you end up with a problem when the wiring is done, it is easily localized.

Good advice.     That's how I do all of my builds unless the bypass is integrated into the board.
  • SUPPORTER

HOTTUBES

Well ....I'm not admitting defeat !
I'm not rebuilding
So i have to stick with it and figure this out !

therecordingart

Since it passes signal in bypass have you verified that the input signal lead is going to the board input? It will pass signal in bypass if you by chance swapped the board in and board out leads, but won't pass signal with the effect engaged. I know it sounds stupid, but it's always little things like this that I end up doing. Grab a capacitor and build an audio probe to see where the input signal goes.

HOTTUBES

Does the audio signal leave the board on Volume 3 ?
I assume it does ...