Using Muff as for color Vs. Fuzz

Started by bufferz, January 11, 2013, 02:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bufferz

Hey guys,

I really like the tone I get when I run my muff clean with my guitar volume rolled back. It just seems to color the tone differently than going from guita to amp directly. I have been trying to figure out how to generate this sound without rolling back the guitar volume (because i'd like to be able to have my guitar volume knob adjust voulme rather than gain)

Does anyone have any ideas I could try on the breadboard rather than just adding a pot to the pedal to adjust the input? Anybody experiance this before?

Kesh

probably the mid scoop of the muff's tone stack

if you take out the q2 and q3 stages you might get what you're after

bufferz

Kesh

i'm making no promises, but that's what i'd try

bufferz

C'mon, No Promises?!?

seriously though, your suggestion makes sense. Perhaps I could just omit the diodes as well, not sure if the trannies themselves create much perecieved clipping.

Anyone ever jumper the diodes in the muff?

azrael

Don't jumper, lift them.

The Jumbo Tonebender? Or is it Supa? I don't know. It's a Muff-related design that lifts one set of diodes.

Kesh

the transistors are seriously overdriven and will clip without the diodes.

there's a pedal that is basically a bmp without the first pair of diodes, i forget what it's called.

bufferz

Mark Hammer

Though I was instantly reminded of the Supa as well, I don't think that will necesarily do it for you.

Keep in mind that the Q2 stage is still a gain stage.  It may not have clipping, but it still hits the Q3 clipping stage pretty hard.  What it doesn't do is double clip, like a BMP.

What I would suggest is to leave the clipping diodes in the Q2 stage but stick either a pot or a trimpot between stage 2 and 3, mimicing exactly what you see between stages 1 and 2.  so that you can not only adjust how much (or little) clipping is elicited from that first set of diodes, but how much is subsequently elicited from the 2nd set.

ashcat_lt

Of course turning the V control on your guitar does more than reduce the broadband volume.  Unless its and active system you'll also be losing some treble, which could very well be part of what you like about it.  Your best bet may be to put a pot before the active circuitry in the Muff to try to get some of that action happening.