Recording Box - Is this doable?

Started by mremic01, January 18, 2013, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

Last night I got it into my head to put together a sort of recording box. Something like two or three distortion/od circuits and a cab sim that's meant to be plugged straight into an audio interface. I guess you could just hook up a bunch of pedals, but I like the idea of having it all in one enclosure for portability. 

I'm pretty new to recording, but I was thinking of having it be something like Tubescream -> ROG Uno -> Dr Boogey/Crunch Box -> Rebote -> Cab Sim -> Interface. Would this get a decent recorded tone, or am I missing some really basic stuff that will make me feel stupid when you guys point it out? 
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

Resynthesis

Definitely doable. The only thing I'd mention is you need to know a bit about the inputs on the interface - do you have a Hi-Z input? If not you might want to think about some sort of DI gubbins.

YMMV but I'm not too bothered about the can sim functionality these days as I tend to use software cabinet responses

moosapotamus

Yeah, impedance... A DI on the end might be a good addition. Would also be easy to include an output just before the DI that would give you the ability to plug directly into an amplifier, too. Then you could also use your box for live performance, or have the option to mic a cabinet for recording, and also have the DI output for direct recording.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Kipper4

There is of course one big thing missing from this signal chain.
A real amp miced will (and this is just my opinion) always sound way better than a simulated cab or response.
I'm not saying it cant sound good either what i'm saying is. a real speaker pushing air infront of a mic will create things that are often felt missing in DI type recordings.
Its ideal if your recording late at night or in a space where you cant crank the amp.
I'm a big fan of guitar rig and have used it many a time in a recording situation satisfactorily.
But now i have a few nice amps i'd sooner get the 57 out.
Even micing a small solid state amp can sound fab. Ask Brian May with his little Deacy amp.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

jh9067

I'd have to agree with Kipper, here are my notes...

Guitar sounds, as you may know, are as numerous as the stars in the sky.  Thus, whatever sound fits with your work will be fine.  This can mean that a DI sound with or without a simulator (I personally detest simulators and software guitar rigs) can and often does produce great results, but I'd impress upon you that it will never, ever, sound like a real amp with a mic.  Also, there is so much more flexibility in the real world to move mics, try different mics, put the amp in a different place, etc.

Check out some DI guitar sounds on great records (or just records you like).  There are some GREAT Harrison moments with DI electric guitar, and Jesus and Mary Chain, and so many more.  A surprising amount of Motown rhythm guitar is DI. Heed everyone's impedance warnings, it's very easy for DIs to destroy your tone.

With that said, I think your design sounds great.  If you're going to the trouble of building this thing, you could very easily add a DI transformer right in the box.  Cinemag makes my favorites, and if you go to http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/, Peterson has a great tutorial (and sells a kit!) for making great DIs.  You could skip his chassis and put the transformer right in your box! I'd definitely (as suggested above) have a hi-z output before the transformer so you can use the box with an amp too.

Good luck,
JH

Kipper4

I thought about getting my bruv inlaw (engineer) to make me a case with some holes for knobs and switches and some simple clamps inside to hold the edges of a pcb and swap out effects boards so i can put my flavour of the week boards in.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/