Any interesting 4046 schematics?

Started by fuzzmonger, January 29, 2013, 03:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzmonger

Hey, folks,

When looking up synthy effects, there's one IC that keeps cropping up - the 4046. Here's a nice example I'd like to try out (if only I could figure out which unlabelled pin the amplified signal enters the chip at :S ) something that changes the timbre of the guitar without messing with the pitch too much.

Something useable would be nice, whenever I think I've found something good it always turns out to be a damned ring modulator (super-fun to play around with, pretty useless unless it's something fancy like a Ring Thing et al)

-Fuzzmonger
-Fuzzmonger

~arph

glops

I tried that schematic but couldnt getting anything to work. Google nic Collins hardware hacking book. He has a simPle schematic with a 4046. Sounds ok. After a lot of tweaking and experimenting I was able to get something decent out of it. Fuzzy and synthy sounding but could be refined. I've been meaning to open that box up and see what I did....

~arph

Btw, pin 6 and 7 have sawtooth outputs pretty cool too

timd

Quote from: fuzzmonger on January 29, 2013, 03:54:40 AM
Hey, folks,

When looking up synthy effects, there's one IC that keeps cropping up - the 4046. Here's a nice example I'd like to try out (if only I could figure out which unlabelled pin the amplified signal enters the chip at :S ) something that changes the timbre of the guitar without messing with the pitch too much.

Something useable would be nice, whenever I think I've found something good it always turns out to be a damned ring modulator (super-fun to play around with, pretty useless unless it's something fancy like a Ring Thing et al)

-Fuzzmonger
Does anyone know what this schematic does?

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jonasx26

Quote from: timd on February 07, 2013, 08:06:42 PMDoes anyone know what this schematic does?

Poor amplifier feeding a less than ideal PLL-setup. It's meant to produce a square wave output from an input signal by locking the PLL VCO to the input (phase comp input at pin 14, missing from schematic).
I wouldn't bother with that schematic. Recommended reading: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/scha002a/scha002a.pdf

electrosonic

• SUPPORTER

timd

Quote from: jonasx26 on February 08, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
Quote from: timd on February 07, 2013, 08:06:42 PMDoes anyone know what this schematic does?

Poor amplifier feeding a less than ideal PLL-setup. It's meant to produce a square wave output from an input signal by locking the PLL VCO to the input (phase comp input at pin 14, missing from schematic).
I wouldn't bother with that schematic. Recommended reading: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/scha002a/scha002a.pdf
Could you use an amp chip like the 386 instead of the 4007 and run it to pin 14 of the 4046?

timd

Quote from: glops on February 07, 2013, 07:35:05 AM
I tried that schematic but couldnt getting anything to work. Google nic Collins hardware hacking book. He has a simPle schematic with a 4046. Sounds ok. After a lot of tweaking and experimenting I was able to get something decent out of it. Fuzzy and synthy sounding but could be refined. I've been meaning to open that box up and see what I did....
I tried a variation of this circuit (4046 powered by the 386 instead of the 4049) and it sounds great. Very old school brass like. Reminded me a little a the Brassmaster, but quite different too.