EH Pulsar adding tone and boost?

Started by Canucker, January 29, 2013, 11:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

So I dug up my old Pulsar build and finally put a footswitch in it. People ask about volume drops and the response always seems to be about "perceived" volume drop...well let me tell ya I have a real volume drop happening...and yup I tested my battery and its over 8 volts.
I thought to combat the issue I'd add both a volume boost (LPB) and a two band EQ cus it appears to be a little bassy. Any thoughts on these additions?

slacker

I would try a booster or just a buffer in front of it first, the input impedance is only about 20k (according to the tonepad schematic) so it will "tonesuck" if you plug a passive guitar straight in.
A tone control might be interesting.

Canucker

Quote from: slacker on January 30, 2013, 01:30:02 PM
I would try a booster or just a buffer in front of it first, the input impedance is only about 20k (according to the tonepad schematic) so it will "tonesuck" if you plug a passive guitar straight in.
A tone control might be interesting.
What would you advise for a buffer? I've never included on in anything I've put together. I can take an existing design and put it together no problem (or minimal debugging) but really I'm still pretty new to all of this as far as modding things. All of my guitars have passive pickups...not sure what your saying about the tone suck.

slacker

Sorry I assumed everyone would know what tonesuck meant, basically it means a reduction in volume and treble, a buffer will counteract this so it might be all you need to solve your problem. There's a load of buffer schematics here http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm try the first Jfet one or the first transistor one depending on what you have to hand, either one will do the job.
Even simpler, if you have a buffered pedal around, a Boss or whatever, stick it in front and see if that solves the issue, that does the same job as adding a buffer and will show if that's all you need.