News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Signal Splitter

Started by AM, January 30, 2013, 05:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AM

I'm building a new pedalboard, all DIY and I want to have a small tuner on it. So, no pedal tuner on this one and I want to avoid having an A/B switch to route the signal.
I thought of having a Y adaptor as a splitter connected at the output of the first buffered pedal.
A simple 1/4" Mono Plug to Two Mono 1/4" Sockets Adaptor.
One of these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/1-4-mono-plug-to-two-mono-1-4-sockets-adaptor-1272
Then have one side going to the tuner and the other side to the next pedal in line. Is this OK? Am I going to degrade the signal by splitting it like this?
Thanks in advance!

PRR

• SUPPORTER

AM

Thanks! So I'm not going to create any impedance or other issues? I will split my signal at the output of my delay. It's the last pedal in the chain and according to the manual its output impedance is 1K. From there I run a 20 - 30 foot cable to the amp. I'm basically afraid that connecting the tuner to the other side of the adaptor will increase that impedance to something way higher and the whole benefit of having a buffer there will be lost.

ashcat_lt

It will decrease the effective load impedance to the parallel of the tuner and the amp.  Unless one of these is way low, it shouldn't be an issue.

roseblood11

I used a modified version of Jack Ormans Super Buffer. It's placed at the output of the first pedal in my signal chain, always on. I added a switch to mute the direct signal for silent tuning.

AM

Quote from: ashcat_lt on January 30, 2013, 06:51:27 PM
It will decrease the effective load impedance to the parallel of the tuner and the amp.  Unless one of these is way low, it shouldn't be an issue.
I'll use one of these:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/scflyer55/pictures/gear/139605/

Edit: I checked the manual. No mention about load impedance.
I don't wanna build buffer boxes with switches etc. This is a very compact board and space is a huge issue. The tuner will just sit on top of my power supply.

ashcat_lt

The input impedance of the tuner parallel to the input impedance of the amp = the impedance of the load seen by the pedal feeding the split.

AM

Unfortunately I can't calculate that. There is no mention about the tuner's input impedance. I guess since it's not a pedalboard tuner Korg hasn't been bothered to document it.

roseblood11

Quote from: AM on January 30, 2013, 07:43:46 PM
I don't wanna build buffer boxes with switches etc. This is a very compact board and space is a huge issue.

I built the buffer+switch+tuner output  into my clone of the DAM Meathead, where the battery was before... It's a 1590b enclosure.

AM

Quote from: roseblood11 on January 30, 2013, 08:35:40 PM
I built the buffer+switch+tuner output  into my clone of the DAM Meathead, where the battery was before... It's a 1590b enclosure.
This actually gave me an idea. Thanks!