Guitar emulator apps - any good exists?

Started by alparent, February 09, 2013, 09:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

I know about RG's Fake Guitar circuit.
But I'm wondering if there is anything I could run from my iPhone to generate tones,
Put that in the input of pedals and use that to test and debug?
I know I wouldn't get the loading a real guitar would give me, but could I use like a simple transformer to emulate that load?
From iPhone output to loading circuit to effect input.

Makes any sense?

R.G.

Back in the 1990s, a friend of mine ran a vintage guitar shop. I wanted to record a number of these vintage guitars at high fidelity and make a CD of the various guitars and settings. This could then be used to test pedals. Never got the time to actually do that, but I think it's a valid idea.

A bit of audio editing software could turn a recording of a guitar into an endless loop of notes of various frequencies. From there, a set of guitar "controls" and some inductance to fake the inductive nature of the pickups would make a pretty good guitar emulator.

Technology has moved on. Today, it should be pretty simple to record your own guitar making notes and then dump them into your i-whatever. From there, an app could be written to play that back as an eternally repeating loop. I've never looked into writing i-apps, but surely someone here has.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

I have a CD from Dave Hunter's Guitar Pickup Handbook, with samples of a bunch of different pickups and guitars.  I'll make you a copy of the CD, Alain, and you can extract your own samples from it.

Ice-9

If its just to play back some loops from an Ipad- Iphone etc you could always just use an app like a 4 track recorder. If your looking for maybe a signal generator for testing circuits there are pleny of free apps you could use.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

alparent

Thanks for the replies guys.
As for recording your guitar and playing I back. Not to hard to do. (Guess I didn't think hard on that one  :P)

And to simulate a guitar load, could something like Jack Orman's guitar pickup simulator be used?
http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

I dans have that tranformer, could I use other small transformer I have?
What's the important thing I should look for?

Thanks

R.G.

What's necessary is an inductor, not a transformer. The trick of using a small transformer primary as an inductor is a very, very old one. The transformer noted has a primary inductance of about 0.5-1.0H, and was quoted long ago as a substitute for a wah inductor as well.

Single coil pickups are about 1-2H, humbuckers are 2-4H as a gross oversimplification. Two wah inductors in series, or almost any 1K primary impedance small transformer will do fine.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

dmc777

Might not be what your looking for but I've found a few great apps for DIY projects such Electronics toolbox, EE Toolkit and iResistor. The first contains about everything you need to know about electronics as well as calculators, color codes, printouts , transistors, etc.