J201 listed as obsolete at mouser and no suggested replacement? halp.

Started by Zilla, February 25, 2013, 12:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zilla

at the risk of beating a dead horse...

I'm creating some BOMs for a few projects that i want to do.  all of them use the J201, but this JFET is listed as obsolete by mouser and digikey and there are no suitable replacements suggested.

What have you guys used to replace the J201 that is readily available?  I saw that the 2n5457 was suggested, but again it is listed as obsolete or "not available" by mouser.

Thanks

petey twofinger

im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

IvIark

Tayda or there are still a few sellers on eBay.  You may want to stock up a few extra while you can

alparent

Tayda as the J201 and shipping will cost you next to nothing.
They also have the 2N5457.

I also assume our other beloved venders also have them.

familyortiz

NTE 458 is what is crossed at NTE's site. I've used them in place of the J201 with success.

aron

The diystompboxes.com store still has them. They will be there unless you need a ton of them.

alparent

kaycee

Is there a surface mount equivalent of the J201 and the other discontinued through hole jfets?

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

fuzzymuff

Oh jeeze...so now what?  In a couple of years these J201 trannies will be up there with  other expensive Germaniums selling for $20+ a piece?  As the J201s become scarce, I'm sure someone will find some mojo with these transistors :)

LucifersTrip

Quote from: fuzzymuff on February 25, 2013, 03:58:47 PM
Oh jeeze...so now what?  In a couple of years these J201 trannies will be up there with  other expensive Germaniums selling for $20+ a piece? 

remember, many ge's are 40+ years old
always think outside the box

rockhorst

I recall that Steve from Smallbear said he stocked up on them for years to come. However, I don't see him offering them at the moment.
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

J0K3RX

You can still get J201's from mouser... SOT-23

MMBFJ201 - It's inevitable, you must conform or be assimilated  :icon_twisted:

Then you can use this so you don't have to redesign your boards... Procrastinate I always say!!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11178619/MMBF-J201%20to%20TO-92.pdf

Use the really thin PCB and you can cut it with scissors or you can use one of those scary paper cutters :icon_twisted:

Quote from: petey twofinger on February 25, 2013, 12:45:29 PM
check your pm

Hey petey twofinger, it's not nice to tell secrets... You got a secret stash supplier we aught to know about?  :-X
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

petey twofinger

well it was just that i know a place that has these , they conveniently had everything i needed for a few builds ,  my last order which was 97 dollars worth of crap , but i digress  .

i just wasnt sure about promoting this other place here , for some reason i thought about it and it seemed like a better idea to pm the info .

i was really just trying to help where i could , trying to boost my "karma" , something i have been trying out for a lil while here :)

as too my secret stash , man those days are long gone ... :(

im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

arawn

"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

petemoore

I got to liking the 2n5257 anyway.
  The NTE is ''hotter than ='', and 'could' be described as.. 'hard edge sounding' [even though transistors make no sound].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

smallbearelec

I apologize for forgetting to restore the line items for those devices; it's done now.

I had addressed this issue in a post maybe a year ago before Fairchild actually lowered the boom. I invested a godawful amount of money last year in numerous TO-92 parts, so as to be able to serve our market comfortably for some years. Also, I investigated the possibility of getting a foundry to take SMD JFETs and bond to headers. It can be done, though I have not had to go that route because I picked up enough parts between Fairchild's "Last Buy" and broker stock.

Take a deep breath, and know that SBE will be able to keep feeding your habit...

Regards
SD

rockhorst

Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

Seljer