Fender Fuzzwah II Question - How Is It Meant to Work?

Started by cps, February 26, 2013, 12:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cps

Hi,

A while back I picked up a Fender Fuzzwah that wasn't working. A friend of mine used to have one of these and I remember it as a particularly good wah and fuzz combination. The original fault with the pedal was one wire that had come loose which I soon fixed. However, I've now found that the pedal's old pots are in poor condition so I'd like to get them working.

Some pictures can be found here http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/fender/fuzzwah/2 and a link to a schematic of the pedal is here http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~cpsmusic/fender_fuzz-wah-pedal.png.

My main question concerns how this pedal is meant to function as due to the pots barely working, it's difficult to tell how the device works. I'm hoping someone can help me out with how this pedal is meant to work.

The pedal has five pots and two switches. One switch is for the wah and the other for the fuzz. I'm right with that!

Two of the pots are controlled by the wah's pedal - these seem to be for volume and wah. However the pedal seems to work as a volume control all the time - there's no "straight thru" - is that right?

The other three pots are labelled "Output Level - Fuzz", "Output Level - Wah" and "Blend - Fuzz". The one I'm not clear about is the "Blend - Fuzz" - what is it doing? Is it mixing clean signal with the fuzz/wah mix?

Cheers,

Chris

Keeb

Quote from: cps on February 26, 2013, 12:04:35 AM
The one I'm not clear about is the "Blend - Fuzz" - what is it doing? Is it mixing clean signal with the fuzz/wah mix?

Cheers,

Chris

Until a more seasoned pro can chime in I'll take a stab at it...

It seems to me that the blend-fuzz controls the mix of the clean guitar and fuzz. I don't see it doing anything with only the the wah activated.

Keppy

Quote from: cps on February 26, 2013, 12:04:35 AM
Two of the pots are controlled by the wah's pedal - these seem to be for volume and wah. However the pedal seems to work as a volume control all the time - there's no "straight thru" - is that right?
Mostly right. There's no "straight thru," always wah or volume. Never both or neither.

QuoteThe other three pots are labelled "Output Level - Fuzz", "Output Level - Wah" and "Blend - Fuzz". The one I'm not clear about is the "Blend - Fuzz" - what is it doing? Is it mixing clean signal with the fuzz/wah mix?
Assuming this is the same pot labeled "SIGNAL MIX" on the schem, it mixes clean with fuzz, then the combined signal goes to on to the wah. Oddly, as you turn that control clockwise, you get more clean rather than more fuzz.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

cps

Thanks for the replies! Now I can concentrate on getting the scratchy pots working.

Cheers,

Chris