Help I want to build a simple AB box

Started by jallenfuzz, February 26, 2013, 09:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jallenfuzz

I want to build an AB box with a volume control for each channel.  Anyone have a schematic for this? Could someone point me in the right direction? Can I do it without a circuit board?

gcme93

Try that ;)

Mostly thanks to Beavis Audio, and microsoft paint

EDIT: Audio taper pots would probably be better for this application, but linear ones will work fine too
Piss poor playing is why i make pedals.

petemoore

I'm sure there are diagrams/schemtatics available for exactly that.
 If not, put the volume control in...
 It 'can' be as simple as 1 SPDT + 3 jacks with grounded sleeves, the pole to the input, 1 throw wired to 'output jack A tip', the other throw to output jack B tip.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gcme93

Quote from: petemoore on February 26, 2013, 09:52:16 AM
 I'm sure there are diagrams/schemtatics available for exactly that.
 If not, put the volume control in...
 It 'can' be as simple as 1 SPDT + 3 jacks with grounded sleeves, the pole to the input, 1 throw wired to 'output jack A tip', the other throw to output jack B tip.

Very true. I just remembered Beavis's one and edited it. Do you think he uses a DPDT because they're more common for stompswitches? Or does switching the grounds give some added benefit?
Piss poor playing is why i make pedals.

jallenfuzz

Ok, now I'm thinking more about the project and I realized a few things.  I would like to use two switches.  One to switch channels and the other to select both or none. Also LEDs would be good.  Any more insight? I can install power via battery and add a DC jack.  I'm new to building from scratch so I'm not sure how to go about the circuit. Any help greatly appreciated.

Rigel

If you wont ground the unused output, the amplifier will buzz. For LEDs use a 3DPT

caspercody

http://www.singlecoil.com/frmset.html

There are (2) good PDF files on this page that talk about AB boxes.

petemoore

Features Vs. Extras...
  That one shows two volume pots.
  There are so many for instaces with these A/B boxes...here's a couple option comments
  Perhaps one side is continually louder than the other, and there's a master volume, one VC in the box would provide A/B volume balance, + the master volume gives control on the volumes.
  Perhaps there will be a volume control in series with each volume control shown in above schematic [such as when connecting to guitar outputs and many effects outputs].
  The VC's could be important and useful, or redundant, depending on what the applications are.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.