SMD surface mount resistors

Started by newperson, March 17, 2013, 04:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newperson

New to the SMD parts.
Can someone tell me the smallest physical sized surface mount resistors?  What is the code to look them up?
Thank you,

KMG

pappasmurfsharem

I can't give you the direct answer, as I don't know, but I am absolutely certain you do not want "THE SMALLEST" . It would be nearly impossible to work with.

I've seen them near the same size as this hyphen   -  (depending on your screen size). Generally on laptop motherboards.

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Gurner

I work with size 1206 which are small but not stupid-o-clock small....they're nice to work with.

Some work with 0805 size (too small for these old eyes/hands).

Anything below that...IMHO you need a pick & place machine.

R.G.

The smallest easily available commercial ones are 0102 - that is 0.01" wide by 0.02" long (about 0.25mm by 0.5mm).

These are not all that easy to *see* and are practically useless for hand work, as you need a low power microscope, preferably a stereo micro scope, special soldering tools, and a jeweler's attitude and steady hand toward hand work to be successful with them.

I have the stereo zoom microscope and small soldering tools, and can do 0805 reasonably well after much practice. The smaller sizes from that are very, very difficult.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

newperson

Thanks for the links and numbers.  This is a one time thing.  I will be trying to make some pins to go into a patch matrix.  I have an old matrix but no pins.  From my research the pins have 2.7k or 68k resistors.

Posted by: R.G.
Insert Quote
The smallest easily available commercial ones are 0102 - that is 0.01" wide by 0.02" long (about 0.25mm by 0.5mm).

These are not all that easy to *see* and are practically useless for hand work, as you need a low power microscope, preferably a stereo micro scope, special soldering tools, and a jeweler's attitude and steady hand toward hand work to be successful with them.

I have the stereo zoom microscope and small soldering tools, and can do 0805 reasonably well after much practice. The smaller sizes from that are very, very difficult.
Posted on: Today at 10:32:03 AM Posted by: Gurner
Insert Quote
I work with size 1206 which are small but not stupid-o-clock small....they're nice to work with.

Some work with 0805 size (too small for these old eyes/hands).

Anything below that...IMHO you need a pick & place machine.
Posted on: Today at 04:40:58 AM Posted by: pappasmurfsharem
Insert Quote
I can't give you the direct answer, as I don't know, but I am absolutely certain you do not want "THE SMALLEST" . It would be nearly impossible to work with.

I've seen them near the same size as this hyphen   -  (depending on your screen size). Generally on laptop motherboards.

Posted on: Today at 04:31:13 AM Posted by: KMG
Insert Quote
http://www.westfloridacomponents.com/surface-mount-resistor-sizes.html

cloudscapes

Yeah the smallest I've seen are absolutelly impossible to do by hand. Smaller than a grain of sand, easily.

The smallest I'm personally capable of is 0603, using extremely fine tweezers and a loupe. I'm strongly considering upping the size to 0805 or more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

newperson

I will just get some of each on my next mouser order.  Maybe one of them will work out for me.  Thanks again for the size codes.