Weird issue FuzzFace

Started by Canucker, March 30, 2013, 12:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

Can't believe I'm asking this but I tried out the Tonepad (negative ground version fuzzface)....I've built a couple of fuzzfaces before that I drew up layouts and those worked fine...This one doesn't...the weird thing is that if I turn off my practice amp (solid state) with the effect on...the second I turn off the volume drops and I get a distorted tone. Does that indicate any obvious mistakes? I tested the values of my parts. I swapped between BC109 transistors and 2n3904 and had the same results...clean tone while the amp was on and distortion as the amp powers down. If I test all of m. The clean sound isn't as loud as when I turn the effect off (I had it a switch hooked up but then I removed it in case it was causing my issue). Also if I test voltages does it matter which transistors are in there? As I said I tried more then one type...and I had them in different positions as well.                                     

Canucker

and my battery is testing at just under 9 volts.

Canucker

Here is what I got on this
Q1= C   7.25
       B    7.75
       E     8.88

Q2= C  6.62
       B   7.23
       E   8.19

using BC109 transistors http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=82 Tonepad Negative ground layout no mods.

Canucker

So after more head scratching I finally clued into the fact that its a layout for PNP transistors NOT PNP like I was using....in the tonepad build reports someone wrote this.....

Couldn't find any PNP germanium transistors so i used an NPN silicon BC109C instead.

Built as per the positive ground version with the following modifications:

Power wired the opposite to the layout in order to get positive collector and a negative ground.

R4 changed from 470 to 330
C2 reversed in order to accomodate the switched power wires.

It worked the first time i powered up. :)

...........So I guess I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Keppy

Edit: simultaneous post about the PNP thing. Good luck!
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

Canucker

Picked up some 2n3905 transistors today...its loud its fuzzy and it farts....I'm guessing the bias resistor needs to be a lower value? Its a low Hfe transistor so is lower resistor the best idea?