Fuzz Face Questions

Started by Henry89789, April 05, 2013, 04:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry89789

I want to build an "original"  Fuzz Face. I have already built a PNP Si FF,  a NPN Si FF,  and a 3 knob PNP Si FF and everything works on them. So now that I think I understand how to build them, I want to build a PNP Germanium FF with a matched pair of Germanium transistors. I consider this to be the "ultimate" Fuzz Face. I still have a few questions that I hope you all can help me with as follows:

I know that the 8k2 and the 33k resistors can be replaced with trim pots with 1k resistors.
1.  What should be the value of the trim pot that replaces the 8k2 resistor?
2. What should be the value of the trim pot that replaces the 33k resistor?
3. I understand that the voltage of the Q2 trim pot should be adjusted to -4.5 volts; Correct?    What should the voltage of the "33k" or Q1 trim pot be adjusted to?
4. Should the voltage of the Q2 trim pot be adjusted to -4.5 volts for all PNP Fuzz faces, regardless of whether they are silicon or germanium?    (or +4.5 if it is a silicon NPN FF?)
5. Should the Q1 trim pot always be adjusted to the same voltage regardless of whether it is silicon or germanium?
6. I am going to put the transistors in sockets. Is it correct that if I put the 470 ohm resistor in sockets, I can convert the circuit from Germanium to silicon simply by changing the transistors and by changing the 470 ohm resistor  to 330 ohm?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide with these questions.

Henry89789

One more question:  Does it make any difference if I use a blue LED instead of a red one ?  Thanks.

LucifersTrip

Hey..

Just use a trim pot close to the value you're subbing for (ie, 10K - 20K for the 8.2K)

...on the other forum, someone was cool enough to save all the voltages of good sounding ones that builders reported and then averaged them:

q1e: 0
q1b: 0.1     
q1c: 0.578   

q2e: 0.447
q2b: 0.578   
q2c: 4.51

si & ge voltages are different. most like Q2C in the 4.5 - 5.5 range, but others like it higher...

you can put a switch on 330/470 to go from si/ge, but the biasing resistors will probably have to be changed also

...and the led makes no difference
always think outside the box