Electro caps Reading values

Started by paulyy, May 15, 2013, 07:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlinb

Quote from: sgriffith62 on December 08, 2013, 09:18:20 AM
And we used to call capacitors condensers. Back then it was microfarads and mmuf micro-micro farads.

And back before THEN you bought your capacitors in 'plates', not farads! (i.e. how many plates or vanes came on your air-core variable capacitors!)

psychedelicfish

Quote from: merlinb on December 08, 2013, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: sgriffith62 on December 08, 2013, 09:18:20 AM
And we used to call capacitors condensers. Back then it was microfarads and mmuf micro-micro farads.

And back before THEN you bought your capacitors in 'plates', not farads! (i.e. how many plates or vanes came on your air-core variable capacitors!)

And then you have capacitors like this:

I want one...
If at first you don't succeed... use bigger transistors!

alanp

The units used generally indicates what type of cap it is, AFAIK. 0.47uF indicates an electrolytic cap, 470nF indicates box film (or greenie.) 4700pF is mostly a hooge ceramic (but not normally seen.)

1uF, OTOH, is situational as sometimes it's film, sometimes it's electro :)

You can tell how oldschool someone is by whether they use mf or uf. The u is meant to indicate the micro symbol ยต but with less keyboard trouble.

duck_arse

@ psychedelicfish - they would need to use pink batts to insulate that capacitor, surely.

and hands up who remembers the "gimmick" caps? I'm not sure if they refered to them as condensors or not. pity the poor sod looking in an old radio for one, not knowing it was a twist of two insulated wires.
Katy who? what footie?