a sh*tload of russian fuzzy goodness...

Started by pinkjimiphoton, May 21, 2013, 05:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaycee

Of the simpler ones that I can get an inkling of whats what, there looks to be several sections that I don't recognise as the usual building blocks of 'vintage' fuzz units? That of itself is interesting enough, but the real question that springs to my mind is where was the market for this stuff? Were they all out of their boxes and fugging away like crazy behind the iron curtain while we cowered in the nuclear shadow of MAD???

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

Hmmm...

Quote from: kaycee on May 26, 2013, 03:34:09 PM
. . .  in the nuclear shadow of MAD???

"Mutual Assured Destruction".  Sounds like a great name for a game-changing, end-of-the-universe, ultra-distortion pedal.  :icon_twisted:  With just a little "fuzzy goodness" thrown in for good measure.  Over to you, Jimi!   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

kingswayguitar

Quote from: tca on May 22, 2013, 04:07:25 AM
I like this one:

Direct coupled stages with two diodes on the feedback path, similar to a opamp configuration but with less open gain... I'm guessing (I actually did some sims with it) that we will be happily surprised with this one. It is not only the wave form at the output but the transient regimes!

Cheers.

just curious how hard it would be for you to share those sims with us
i too will put this one on my breadboard list...2 transistors = OK
too many active components and I start to lose track of what's going on  :icon_wink:

tca

^ No problem... let me just go to the right computer!

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

tca

Here goes:

Note: Disregard the opamp and what is on the left (just my pluck guitar string sym).

Cheers.

P.S.

BTW that graph shows a 2s simulation, pluck and decay.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

pinkjimiphoton

that looks pretty cool!!

what the hell we looking at?  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Keppy

I work at a music school, and a band that I teach named themselves Mutual Assured Destruction. :icon_mrgreen:
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

garcho

"Guitar-organ"

That dude looks like he should be walking around Williamsburg. Or Brighton Beach  :D
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

artifus

...hipsters, eh?

QuoteHis guitar involves the installation of six blocks of signal processing (for each string). I made only one, but in this kind of sound, as they say, the gadget was unique. Play at this sound may not be very accepted, but the insert out, but still finished a phaser - it's something.

*edit* on the subject of guitar organs - just stumbled upon this: http://www.combo-organ.com/Schematics/ which has schematics for the vox guitar organ v251 as a downloadable zip file. surfin' like it's '99 here at the mo so its yet to come in to have a look at. may be of interest.

posmaster

Breadboarded out what I was calling the "Russian Fusser", and I used BC547 transistors - 1u on the input and 1u on the output, and 22u on the 2nd transistor's emitter - nice classic small-amp-drive texture - it also loosened up a lot when I did a 1n4148 and D9J in series on each side of the diode clipper. Needs some more precise tone shaping rather than my grabbing caps semi-randomly.

kingswayguitar