Fender Fuzz Wah Low Output...

Started by Gristlepig, July 14, 2013, 09:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gristlepig

Hey folks,

I've got here a 1971 Fender Fuzz Wah, the big chrome mama with all the ropes and pullys inside.

Cool pedal, but a rather overcomplicated design. The string and springs on the inside harken back to several failed attempts at restringing slide dials on old shortwave radios...

luckily that whole mechanism appears be be working fine.
But when engaging the fuzz, there is a significant volume drop. I've tried to adjust the travel of the volume pot, but it is fully open and volume is very low...

any suggestions as to where to begin troubleshooting this thing? I'm a bit uncomfortable just pulling it all apart given the rather intimidating layout inside the box...

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
- Anatole France

Gristlepig

Bump!

Any of you guys have any input?
Not too much on this thing on the web, but I'm beginning to suspect the volume drop is normal for these units.
The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
- Anatole France

mistahead

Bypass volume pot, post observations.

Then we can start thinking about the circuit before it.
:icon_smile:

Gristlepig

- Anatole France