POPPING SOLUTION?

Started by Lbzg, July 28, 2013, 05:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrStab

Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

armdnrdy

Quote from: MrStab on September 18, 2013, 01:47:15 AM
sorry to necro, but what the actual f-??! lol!!!

You have to ask?

It's pretty obvious that it's nothing more than a normal doorknob!  

Well okay....it's a bicycle pedal used as a doorknob.  :icon_wink:

Maybe they were out of doorknobs at the doorknob store.  :-\
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

deadastronaut

its still a pedal though... 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

armdnrdy

This thread seems to have veered off onto another road!

Having an inquiring mind as such, why would somebody fit a bicycle pedal onto a door to be used as the door opener?

Look Ma....no hands!

That's right...I believe that this individual did not possess the ability to grasp and turn a "normal" door knob.

Either a physical handicap or some other major ailment prevents the owner of this fine implementation of ingenuity from using a door knob.

With this pedal, one could open the door with your arm, head, or leg.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

MrStab

maybe we're only seeing the very bottom of the door, and due to a design error, you have to use your foot to open it!

it's not a prank. it's not a joke. it's a MOD.

speaking of mods, can anyone say "OT"...?
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

armdnrdy

Theory #2

This is from a door in a "bicycle themed" Hotel at the finish line of the Tour de France.

You should see the shower fixtures!  :icon_eek:

seedlings

Quote from: armdnrdy on September 18, 2013, 09:57:44 AM
This thread seems to have veered off onto another road!

I think this thread started like a 4x4 careened into a ditch and got serious air time, smashing cars and toes and trees, and left a wake of destruction as the driver bailed out.

CHAD

duck_arse

I'm not certain the "driver" wasn't the latest output of an artificial intelligence lab somewhere.
granny at the G next satdy.

mistahead

Couldn't have been that recent an AI - I could hear the clicking and popping from here.   :icon_wink:

DIMstompboxes

Again, you people really aren't giving the solution and answer to us newbie....

pinkjimiphoton

here's the deal for you newbies.

simple pull down resistors at input of circuit-before input cap- are usually enough to eliminate popping. sometimes you need to add one to the output as well.

there's no "secrets" being held back, it appears some pinhead on the net is trying to garner attention by claiming "we" are withholding info. this is patently untrue.

that said... in certain instances, you CAN use caps to eliminate pops from footswitches, and should. but that's not for use in audio so much, as electrical work.

if you make a footswitch to switch wall outlet ac in say a leslie or something, that CAN cause pops in audio equipment.

in this case, sometimes a big funkin' cap... maybe .1 or so can be put from switch to ground to send the transient spikes of un-debounced switches to ground and prevent them from being picked up by an associated audio circuit. in this case, such "snubbers" are more mechanical than electronic.
they exist in this case only to store a charge, and thereby minimize "pop" by offering a slower dispatch path to ground.

in a guitar pedal, if you add caps to ground like that, you are gonna lose audio SIGNAL.

you don't need to worry about it in a mechanical engine type situation. add a .1u cap to ground in your audio circuit somewhere, and see what it does to the tone. you probably guessed right... it will send a whole bunch of frequencies to ground, and kill the sound of the pedal.

i would say  just listen to Abe Lincoln

caps to ground to snub pops in mechanical situations like leslie control pedals? TRUE

caps to ground to snub pops in audio situations like stompboxes? FALSE.

end of story

from a "relative" newb
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

mistahead

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on September 22, 2013, 08:45:51 PM

Hi I'm a newbie too, the best thing I found was the use of Google's site search tool.

The solutions are varied as are the underlying causes, and well documented - use a search and find a HUGE amount of information on this topic.

This thread is not about clicking and popping - it never really was, it's about one arsehat who didn't read any of the above mentioned threads and then had a the stupidity to accuse misdirection from the people attempting to help.

Jdansti

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on September 22, 2013, 08:45:51 PM

Bull Crap!  Read the last seven pages. Do a search on this forum of how many people, newbies and oldies, have asked for help with popping pedals and received it. The reason this thread has gotten silly is because the OP insists that there is a conspiracy and he hasn't provided photos of his build. We can't do anymore than we've done to help him. We aren't there to put our hands on his circuit, so the only information we have is what he provides.

This should be a sticky for people who have popping problems:  

Here's the secret to building a non-popping pedal:  Build it perfectly according to the build documents using the proper building techniques.  If it pops, you've done something different than the thousands of other people who've built the same pedal without pops (edit: or you're using a substandard switch).  The first step is to follow the troubleshooting instructions here:  http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Don't blame other people who've tried to help solve your problems.

Edit #2:  BTW-after looking your past posts, I don't think you're too much of a newb. I suspect a bit of sarcasm in your post. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

DIMstompboxes

Whoa!! I can't believe you all fall into my post hahahhahhahhaha ;D  GOTTYAH hehehhehh  peace

pinkjimiphoton

dude, don't be lame. save that for HCEF.

seriously.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 23, 2013, 09:15:37 AM

seriously.

Okay...I'm not too in tune with internet lingo....so I googled HCEF and this is what I came up with.

Holy Land Christian Ecumenical Foundation
Homeless Children's Education Fund
Henderson County Education Foundation
Holmes County Education Foundation
HCEF (Harvard Entrepreneurship Forum)

I don't think you meant any of these Jimi......WTF is HCEF?   ???

DIMstompboxes

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 23, 2013, 09:15:37 AM

seriously.

My bad and apologies  :-[

duck_arse

"pinhead" and "arsehat" in one thread! made my day.

I thort all sarcasm posts ended with ellipseses .....
granny at the G next satdy.

Jdansti

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on September 23, 2013, 05:37:30 AM
Whoa!! I can't believe you all fall into my post hahahhahhahhaha ;D  GOTTYAH hehehhehh  peace

No problem!  Every word of my post still stands, especially the part about your post being "Bull Crap"! ;D

Edit:  BTW-HCEF is the Harmony Central forum.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

armdnrdy

Yeah...It is amazing that some people feel so entitled! They feel that forums are a place to get all of their problems solved and that all of the members are just there to serve them!

Even Aron got peeved at the original poster! See reply #32

Being a member of this forum has taken years off of my life  :icon_eek:....I mean years off of my learning curve!

Now I know enough to know just how much I don't know! You know?  ;D